Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux ls -L Results
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Linux ls -L Results Post 302382215 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 22nd of December 2009 04:48:13 PM
Old 12-22-2009
ls -L executes the readlink system call. Meaning it translates the link "name" to the real name of the file.

You may have noticed that a link file is only a few bytes. It is literally just text that references another file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How I will check wheather my linux benchmark results are OK

My system bench mark results INDEX VALUES TEST BASELINE RESULT INDEX Arithmetic Test (type = double) 2541.7 876123.7 344.7 Dhrystone 2 without register variables 22366.3 5411602.3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandra s
1 Replies

2. Linux Benchmarks

Results for Linux Benchmarks

Hi, I was trying to build Linux Benchmarks with latest Intel C++ Compiler. When I used -ipo (inter-procedural optimization) option, arithmetic test (arith.c) failed on execution. The problem is Intel compiler's advanced optimization option (-ipo) optimizes much more than expected and this... (50 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpjain
50 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux ISQL and MSSQL unload results to file

Hello, I am using suse 10.1 and isql from unixodbc to connect to a MS SQL server. I got everything to work fine. What do I need to unload the results from the sql to a file? I attempted to put unload to in my sql statement but got a error. I don't see in the isql help where it has a option to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux script - Crazy results

Here is my script: # # Capture the current directory. export -p CurrentDir="`pwd`" echo $CurrentDir # # Capture the new directory name in the form YYYYMMDD. export -p DateDir="`date +"%Y%m%d"`" echo $DateDir # # Store the desired target directory. export -p... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imprimisxo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print some results in a text file using script in linux

hello everyone, i really need your help to write a script which would just print following kind of result into a text file (result.txt) XYZ test Results ID: <unique-id> Date: <date> ------------------------------------------------- | Task | Result | Time |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viriimind
3 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

linux sqlplus select results writes into file twice

Hello, This is my first post and its because I could not find solution for myself I decided to ask help here. What I want to do; I want to get some data from a table 1 on server 1 and insert those datas into a table 2 on server 2. ( lets say schema names are server1 and server 2 also ).... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: azuahaha
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX SORT command chops results

I am trying to sort a file . The file looks like this: DDFF 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFQ 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFX 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDUA 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load My command: sort -k1 /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt -o /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt The results are OK except for one line where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yahalom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign SQL Query Results to Variables in Linux?

Hi, I am new to linux... How to Assign SQL Query Results to Variables in Linux,i want ti generate it in param files, Can anyone please explain me. Ex: SQL> Select * from EMP; O/P: Emp_No Emp_Name 1 AAA 2 BBB 3 CCC and I want expected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sravana Kumar
5 Replies
readlink(2)							System Calls Manual						       readlink(2)

NAME
readlink - Reads the value of a symbolic link SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int readlink ( const char *path, char *buffer, size_t buf_size); The following version of the buf_size argument does not conform to current standards and is supported only for backward compatibility: int buf_size STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: readlink(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the pathname of the destination file or directory. Points to the user's buffer. The buffer should be at least as large as the buf_size parameter. Specifies the size of the buffer. DESCRIPTION
The readlink() function places the contents of the symbolic link named by the path parameter in buffer, which has size buf_size. If the actual length of the symbolic link is greater than buf_size, an error is returned. The length of a symbolic link will not exceed PATH_MAX. [Tru64 UNIX] If the actual length of the symbolic link is less than buf_size, the string copied into the buffer is null-terminated. For a readlink() function to complete successfully, the calling process must have search access to the directory containing the link. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the readlink() function returns a count of bytes placed in the buffer (not including any terminating null). If the readlink() function fails, the buffer is not modified, a value of -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The readlink() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix of the path parameter, or read permission is denied on the final component of the path prefix of the path parameter. The file named by the path parameter is not a symbolic link. An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path. The length of the path parameter exceeds PATH_MAX, or a pathname component is longer than NAME_MAX while {_POSIX_NO_TRUNC} is in effect. The file named by the path parameter does not exist or the path parameter points to an empty string. A component of the path prefix of the path parameter is not a directory. [Tru64 UNIX] The pathname in the symbolic link is longer than buf_size. For NFS file access, if the readlink() function fails, errno may also be set to one of the following values: [Tru64 UNIX] The owner or group ID is not a value supported by this implementation. [Tru64 UNIX] Indicates a stale NFS file handle. An opened file was deleted by the server or another client; a client cannot open a file because the server has unmounted or unexported the remote directory; or the directory that contains an opened file was either unmounted or unexported by the server. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: link(2), stat(2), symlink(2), unlink(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off readlink(2)