Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to increment a user defined date value in the DATE format itself using shell script? Post 302382072 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 22nd of December 2009 05:29:01 AM
Old 12-22-2009
This question is asked almost every day. Please use the forums search facility. In the FAQ you will find Perderabo's DateCalc script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log File date compare for user defined range

:confused: Hi i am a noob and need a little help to finish my shell script. I am learning as i go but hit a problem. I am search thorugh logs(*.rv) files to find entires between two user defined dates, The script so far looks for the "START" and "END" of each entry at sees if it belongs To... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojo24
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script To increment Date*HElp***

Hi, I want to increment date, using Shell Script, a loop to add one day after 24hrs. :confused: Cheers Kunal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment date in script

Hi, Iam new to scripting language.:o can someone help me out solving this thread?hopingly ya....:) I want to write a script which connects to db and searches the count in a table which has date column and id column. If the count is not equal to 0 then it should increment the date with the one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment Date in a Specific Format

Hi, This may sound a Basic, but please help I Hava a date in the Given Format yyyy_mm_dd Start_date=2008_07_09 (This is a Fixed Date) I need to Increment this Date in a For loop until it equals Current Date For(Start_date<Current_date) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsshishya
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of days between the current date and user defined date

I am trying to find out the number of days between the current date and user defined date. I took reference from here for the date2jd() function. Modified the function according to my requirement. But its not working properly. Original code from here is working fine. #!/bin/sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - shows today’s date and time in a better format than ‘date’ (Uses positional paramete

Hello, I am trying to show today's date and time in a better format than ‘date' (Using positional parameters). I found a command mktime and am wondering if this is the best command to use or will this also show me the time elapse since 1/30/70? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to update date part with new increment date time

hi experts, my requirement is like this i need to develop a shell script to update date part with new incremental date time in file some 'X' which is kept at some server location incrementing every two hours.as i am new to this scripting i need support from u people,thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amanmro
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date format in shell script

Plz help me To display date in the mm/dd/yyyy. Eg. if date is 28-09-2012 the output of the shell script should be date 09/28/2012. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivasaini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment date using "for loop" in format MMDDYY inside the shell script?

Need to increment the date from "currentdate + 90days" inside the for loop (i=1 to i=50) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
PAM::FAQ(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PAM::FAQ(3pm)

NAME
Authen::PAM::FAQ - Frequently-Asked Questions about Authen::PAM. SYNOPSIS
perldoc Authen::PAM::FAQ VERSION
This document is currently at version 0.05, as of May 4, 2005 DESCRIPTION
1. Can I authenticate a user non interactively? Yes, you can although not in a very clean way. The PAM library has a mechanism, in a form of a conversation function, to send and receive text data from the user. For details of the format of the conversation function consult the Authen::PAM manual. This function receives a list of code/string pairs. There are two codes (PAM_TEXT_INFO and PAM_ERROR_MSG) for displaying the associated string to the user and two codes (PAM_ECHO_ON and PAM_ECHO_OFF) for getting input from the user. As you can see the codes are rather general and you can not be completely sure when you are asked for a user name and when for a password. However, the common practice is that PAM_ECHO_ON is used for a user name and PAM_ECHO_OFF is used for a password. So, what you can do is to write your own conversation function which ignores the PAM_TEXT_INFO and PAM_ERROR_MSG codes and returns the user name for the code PAM_ECHO_ON and the password for the code PAM_ECHO_OFF. If you pass the user name in the initialization function then usually you will not be asked for it. Here is a simple example how to do this: use Authen::PAM; use POSIX qw(ttyname); $service = "login"; $username = "foo"; $password = "bar"; $tty_name = ttyname(fileno(STDIN)); sub my_conv_func { my @res; while ( @_ ) { my $code = shift; my $msg = shift; my $ans = ""; $ans = $username if ($code == PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON() ); $ans = $password if ($code == PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF() ); push @res, (PAM_SUCCESS(),$ans); } push @res, PAM_SUCCESS(); return @res; } ref($pamh = new Authen::PAM($service, $username, &my_conv_func)) || die "Error code $pamh during PAM init!"; $res = $pamh->pam_set_item(PAM_TTY(), $tty_name); $res = $pamh->pam_authenticate; print $pamh->pam_strerror($res)," " unless $res == PAM_SUCCESS(); The Authen::PAM module comes with a default conversation function which you can find in the file PAM.pm. 2. Can I change a password non interactively? All the discussion of the previous question also applies here. There is however one serious complication. When changing a password it is quite possible that the PAM library will send you at lest two PAM_ECHO_OFF prompts - one for the old password and one or two for the new one. Therefore, the first thing you should do is to see what sequence of prompts is produced by your service. Then the conversation function should include some state variable to distinguish the different prompts. Here is an example: use Authen::PAM; $service = "passwd"; $username = "foo"; $oldpassword = "old_pass"; $newpassword = "new_pass"; sub my_conv_func { my @res; while ( @_ ) { my $code = shift; my $msg = shift; my $ans = ""; $ans = $username if ($code == PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON() ); if ($code == PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF() ) { $ans = $oldpassword if ($state == 0); $ans = $newpassword if ($state == 1); $ans = $newpassword if ($state == 2); $state++; } push @res, (PAM_SUCCESS(),$ans); } push @res, PAM_SUCCESS(); return @res; } ref($pamh = new Authen::PAM($service, $username, &my_conv_func)) || die "Error code $pamh during PAM init!"; $state = 0; $res = $pamh->pam_chauthtok; print $pamh->pam_strerror($res)," " unless $res == PAM_SUCCESS(); If you are running the script as root then most likely you will not be prompted for an old password. In this case you can simply return the new password at the ECHO_OFF prompt. The $msg variable contains the text of the input prompt which you can use for additional test or for debugging purposes, e.g. if ($code == PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF() ) { if ($state>=1 || $msg=~/new/i) { # are we asked for a new password $ans = $newpassword; } else { $ans = $oldpassword; } $state++; } 3. Why are the constants PAM_AUTHTOK and PAM_OLDAUTHTOK not avaliable? The PAM_AUTHTOK and PAM_OLDAUTHTOK items can be used to pass authentication tokens (passwords) from one module to another. However, they are avaliable only to PAM modules and not to PAM applicatinos. If you have a special setup in which you really need to preset the password from the application (e.g. using a radius server) then you can use the pam_set_authtok module avaliable from http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/~schaefer/linux/pam/pam_set_authtok.html <http://www.uni- hohenheim.de/~schaefer/linux/pam/pam_set_authtok.html>. SEE ALSO
Authen::PAM AUTHOR
Nikolay Pelov <NIKIP at cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1998-2005 Nikolay Pelov. All rights reserved. This file is part of the Authen::PAM library. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2005-06-30 PAM::FAQ(3pm)