Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Definition of "siblings" in /proc/cpuinfo Post 302381958 by treesloth on Monday 21st of December 2009 02:37:51 PM
Old 12-21-2009
Definition of "siblings" in /proc/cpuinfo

So, I'm looking over /proc/cpuinfo and have a question... I've read that "siblings" refers to hyperthreading, but that seems odd considering the contents of cpuinfo. Here's a part:

Code:
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5410  @ 2.33GHz
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4

That almost seems to say that the CPU is a quad-core Xeon (which is correct) as well as being hyperthreaded-- each core having 4 hyperthreads. That seems wrong, though. It seems more likely that it's saying that the CPU has 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads total-- that is, depending on how one looks at it, one hyperthread per core, or, alternatively, 4 cores and no hyperthreading. Four hyperthreads per core would instead be:

Code:
siblings        : 4
cpu cores       : 16

Am I understanding this correctly? For that matter, is there a definitive publication about this? I've looked for it, and will continue, but no luck so far...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy question about /proc/cpuinfo

Perhaps this is a very dummy question but sorry I don't know other place to do it. We just buy a new cluster of Xeon machines but there is something I don't understand and perhaps someone can help me. The more /proc/cpuinfo produces the following output (just part of it). processor : 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhc
1 Replies

3. Programming

GCC compile help - "multiple definition" when using -g

gcc -g -o MY_ELF test1.c test2.c -lm I get this error multiple times... /tmp/cc5TzMPo.o:(.data+0x0): multiple definition of 'XYZ' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

Question on /proc/cpuinfo

Hi, I wanted to understand what exactly /proc/cpuinfo shows? We have a machine with following specification... (2x) Intel Xeon 6-core processors So, ideally it shouls have 12processors, but the output on /proc/cpuinfo shows 24 processors. Can someone please explain how this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrshah64
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. SuSE

Post Your /proc/cpuinfo here!

Here is a chance for Linux users to easily compare Linux CPU info and some meaningless BOGOMIPS. Everyone who is running Linux is welcome to: cat /proc/cpuinfo and post the results. Here is the results for www.unix.com: processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family... (182 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
182 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
XmGetVisibility(library call)											     XmGetVisibility(library call)

NAME
XmGetVisibility -- A function that determines if a widget is visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmVisibility XmGetVisibility( Widget widget); DESCRIPTION
XmGetVisibility returns the visibility state of the specified widget. It checks to see if some part of the widget's rectangular area is unobscured by the widget's ancestors, or some part of the widget's rectangular area is inside the work window (but possibly outside the clip window) of a ScrolledWindow whose XmNscrollingPolicy is XmAUTOMATIC and whose XmNtraverseObscuredCallback is not NULL. XmGetVisibility does not check to see if widget is obscured by its siblings or by siblings of its ancestors. Consequently, XmGetVisibility returns XmVISIBILITY_UNOBSCURED for widgets which are completely or partially covered by one or more siblings of widget by one or more sib- lings of ancestors of widget. When a widget which is unrealized is being queried, it is indicated that the widget is fully obscured. If an application unmaps a widget that has its XmNmappedWhenManaged resource set to True, the return value is undefined. When a widget which is unmanaged is being queried, it is indicated that the widget is fully obscured. widget Specifies the ID of the widget RETURN
Returns one of the following values: XmVISIBILITY_UNOBSCURED Indicates that the widget is mapped, not obscured, and is completely visible on the screen. XmVISIBILITY_PARTIALLY_OBSCURED Indicates that the widget is mapped, and is not completely visible on the screen (partially obscured). XmVISIBILITY_FULLY_OBSCURED Indicates that the widget is not at all visible on the screen. RELATED
XmIsTraversable(3), XmManager(3), and XmProcessTraversal(3). XmGetVisibility(library call)