Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using awk/sed to extract text between Strings Post 302381926 by tintin72 on Monday 21st of December 2009 11:58:40 AM
Old 12-21-2009
Thanks guys,

Your answers worked except for the answer given by gaurav1086

Code:

awk '!/SCAN/{print}' in_file

your script prints all lines not containing the word SCAN! I think that perhaps you may have misunderstood what I wanted. What I wanted was to print ALL text between and including two specific strings BEGIN_SCANx and END_SCANx.

Not to worry, the other answers do this just fine. Smilie

cheers!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK how to extract text between two same strings

I have a file like: myfile.txt it is easy to learn awk and begin awk scripting and awk has got many features awk is a powerful text processing tool Now i want to get the text between first awk and immediate awk not the third awk . How to get it ? its urgent pls help me and file is unevenly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to extract text between two constant strings

Hi, I have a file from which i need to extract data between two constant strings. The data looks like this : Line 1 SUN> read db @cmpd unit 60 Line 2 Parameter: CMPD -> "C00071" Line 3 Line 4 SUN> generate Line 5 tabint>ERROR: (Variable data) The data i need to extract is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: How to extract text lines between two strings

Hi. I have a text test1.txt file like:Receipt Line1 Line2 Line3 End Receipt Line4 Line5 Line6 Canceled Receipt Line7 Line8 Line9 End (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TQ3
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Extract text between two strings?

Hi, I want to extract some text between two strings in a line i am using following command i.e; awk '/-string1/,/-string2/' filename contents of file is--- line1 line2 aaa -bbb -ccc -string1 c,d,e -string2 line4 but it is showing complete line which is having searched strings. aaa... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: emresearch
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi I have something like this: EXAMPLE 1 CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "STRING_1"."STRING_2" ON "BOSNI_CAB_EVENTO" ("CD_EVENTO" , "CD_EJECUCION" ) PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 5242880 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT) TABLESPACE "DB1000_INDICES_512K"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrispaz81
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract word from text (sed,awk, etc...)

Hello, I need some help extracting the number after the RBA e.g 15911688 from the below block of text (e.g: grep RBA |sed .......). The code should be valid for blocks if text generated at different times as well and not for the below text only. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to extract all strings

Hi, I have a text file containing 2 lines as follows: I'm trying to extract all the strings following an "AME." The output would be as follows: BUSINESS_UNIT PROJECT_ID ACTIVITY_ID RES_USER1 RESOURCE_ID_FROM ANALYSIS_TYPE BI_DISTRIB_STATUS BUSINESS_UNIT PROJECT_ID ACTIVITY_ID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpletech369
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi, I have a text like these: ECHO "BEGGINING THE SHELL....." MV FILE1 > FILE2 UNIQ_ID=${1} PARTITION_1=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ....." PARTITION_2=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ........" ${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "CREATE ...." IF .... ....... I would like to extract only text that only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
4 Replies