Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc Post 302381837 by duc904 on Monday 21st of December 2009 04:03:23 AM
Old 12-21-2009
Hi incredible

sure I can be using vi or vim:

export EDITOR=vi
or
export EDITOR=vim

depending on personal flavours. This works so far fine.

I more wondering why the hell I cannot more source the .vimrc file directly.

any ideas?

bye
duc904

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Crontab

Hi I am not able to edit crontab. Following is the comand that is being issued $crontab -e 2764 ............ This is what I am able to see But when I do $crontab -l List of all the crontab entry is displayed. Also I am seeing one entry in my /etc/cron.d prw------- 1 root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

VIMRC question ????

Hi There, :) I Need to put the following command in the vimrc for the execution of ECLIPSE so I have written smthing like as follows, export PATH=$PATH:/JVM location after this i go to my eclipse folder and when I execute STILL it is not getting opened..... Any Help that makes my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk_linux
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a cron file with crontab

I want to set up a file with crontab to run the cron deamon so I can use at to schedule jobs. I think the crontab file (or whatever you call it) has to be set up. Currently, I don't have a crontab file (I checked by typing sudo crontab -u myusername -l), and I don't know the syntax for creating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

5. Fedora

editing crontab help

I'm using fedora 5 and sql 5.0. I'm trying to edit the crontab to perform automatic backups of my database. For some reason it isn't working. Here is what I have so far. 15 2 * * * /usr/bin/mysqldump -opt -all-databases u root -ppassword -h localhost... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: randerson21
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimrc help with line endings

I was reading this and thought I could put this in my vimrc and it would convert the line endings to unix. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? set ff=unixManaging/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran I used this command and it confirms that my global option is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing crontab via ksh

Hi all, I am trying the following I am hoping that the crontab would be changed. but it prints the previous crontab and says Can anyone tell me the correct ksh command that should be used here? I don't want to edit the crontab with crontab -e, I need to edit it via ksh. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaba
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between .vimrc and .exrc?

What is the difference between .vimrc and .exrc? I google it but didn't find the brief explanation? Regards ADI (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Crontab editing issue

Hi, OS - SunOS I gave crontab -e then it returns zero. $ crontab -e 0 ? ? Crontab status - $ ps -ef | grep cron root 2481 1 0 May 12 ? 0:18 /usr/sbin/cron Please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
9 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)