Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use SED to join multiple lines? Post 302381719 by penchal_boddu on Sunday 20th of December 2009 04:05:42 AM
Old 12-20-2009
another one in perl :

perl -nle "BEGIN{$\='#'} print " infile > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Join multiple lines

Hi, I have data with broken lines: Sample data: "12"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:10:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|" 2453748"|"08:15:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|" c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" In the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on a file with multiple lines, fields

I've looked at the join command which is able to perform what I need on two rows with a common field, however if I have more than two rows I need to join all of them. Thus I have one file with multiple rows to be joined on an index number: 1 randomtext1 2 rtext2 2 rtext3 3 rtext4 3 rtext5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join 2 files with multiple columns: awk/grep/join?

Hello, My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I have had a look at several threads but I am still confused how to use these functions. I have two files, each with 5 columns: File A: (tab-delimited) PDB CHAIN Start End Fragment 1avq A 171 176 awyfan 1avq A 172 177 wyfany 1c7k A 2 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed, join lines that do not match pattern

Hello, Could someone help me with sed. I have searched for solution 5 days allready :wall:, but cant find. Unfortunately my "sed" knowledge not good enough to manage it. I have the text: 123, foo1, bar1, short text1, dat1e, stable_pattern 124, foo2, bar2, long text with few lines, date,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrasl
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join multiple lines

Hi I have a source file ( written i C ) where a funtion call is spread over multiple lines, for example : func( a, b, c ); I want this to be joined into one single line : func(a,b,c); How can this be done with awk and sed ? Regards. Hench (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join common patterns in multiple lines into one line

Hi I have a file like 1 2 1 2 3 1 5 6 11 12 10 2 7 5 17 12 I would like to have an output as 1 2 3 5 6 10 7 11 12 17 any help would be highly appreciated Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harrisham
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join multiple lines from text file

Hi Guys, Could you please advise how to join multiple details lines into single row, with HEADER 1 as the record separator and comma(,) as the field separator. Input: HEADER 1, HEADER 2, HEADER 3, 11,22,33, COLUMN1,COLUMN2,COLUMN3, AA1, BB1, CC1, END: ABC HEADER 1, HEADER 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budz26
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join lines using sed or awk

Hi, I have text file that looks like this: blabla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla bla bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla PATTERN LINE1 LINE2 bla (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join columns across multiple lines in a Text based on common column using BASH

Hello, I have a file with 2 columns ( tableName , ColumnName) delimited by a Pipe like below . File is sorted by ColumnName. Table1|Column1 Table2|Column1 Table5|Column1 Table3|Column2 Table2|Column2 Table4|Column3 Table2|Column3 Table2|Column4 Table5|Column4 Table2|Column5 From... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nv186000
6 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)

NAME
make_sockdfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/sockd.fc first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/sockd.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_sockdfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_sockdfc. FILES
/etc/sockd.fc, /etc/sockd.conf SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfc(8), sockd.conf(5), sockd.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@best.com or yingda@esd.sgi.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)