Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encoding conversion in PERL script Post 302381713 by vkca on Sunday 20th of December 2009 01:26:49 AM
Old 12-20-2009
Java Encoding conversion in PERL script

I have oracle 9i database installed with UTF-8 Encoding.
I want a perl script that converts unicode to utf8 before commiting in database and utf8 to unicode when retreiving from database
For example :
the word Ïntêrnatïônàlîzâtion has to be stored in database as Internationalization and when retreived from database, it should not lose the original meaning.

Can u suggest any solution in PERL script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of bash parsing script to perl?

I need help with a perl parsing script. I have some error logs on a windows machine that I need to parse from a text file, but I know nothing about perl. I usually run this bash script on my linux box and it does just what I need. How would I do the same thing with perl and port it to my windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Timestamp conversion

Hi, I have searched, read and tried, but no luck. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; use POSIX qw(strftime); my $getprpw_list="/usr/lbin/getprpw -l"; my $host = "nbsol151"; my $user = "genadmin"; my %uid; my %spwchg; my %upwchg; my %slogint; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl instead of grep 'conversion' help?

Hello: I butchered a shell script together, but my script kung-fu is 5 years old and all I've used for 5 years are for i loops. I hope that some perl guru can do in 5 minutes what takes me 5 weeks, so I am asking for help. I have a simple script using "grep -A 2 'string' /path/to/file" but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp conversion in PERL

Hi, I have a file as below I need to overwrite the 2 nd column alone to numeric format like "06122011030414012345" as per the timestamp value output file should be the microseconds can be neglected if required. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of loop in perl

Hello Sir, How can i convert below two loop lines in perl for BLOCK in /sys/block/myblock* for BLOCK in /dev/myblock* How i can write them in perl like foreach( </sys/block/myblock*/queue/nr_requests> ) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required for Oracle database shutdown script conversion from shell to perl

Please tell me how to convert below program from shell script to perl. Same commands need to use in shutdown, just need program help for startup. export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle1 lsnrctl start lndb1 sqlplus '/ as sysdba' startup; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Color encoding on the disk space script

Hi All, Hope all are doing good!! Am glad that i have utilized some ideas and written a code to make the disk space result comes better and it was successfully running in the production. The next update from my manager was to make this code to come in a table format with color added. 1)... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of Perl Script to Shell Script..

Hi Guys I am having a perl script that fetches exclude list from a unix client and I trying it to convert it to shell script but I am having issues please help me... #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Getopt::Std; # To turn on debuging (i.e. more information) specify... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pawan Ramnani
29 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
encoding::warnings(3pm) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   encoding::warnings(3pm)

NAME
encoding::warnings - Warn on implicit encoding conversions VERSION
This document describes version 0.11 of encoding::warnings, released June 5, 2007. SYNOPSIS
use encoding::warnings; # or 'FATAL' to raise fatal exceptions utf8::encode($a = chr(20000)); # a byte-string (raw bytes) $b = chr(20000); # a unicode-string (wide characters) # "Bytes implicitly upgraded into wide characters as iso-8859-1" $c = $a . $b; DESCRIPTION
Overview of the problem By default, there is a fundamental asymmetry in Perl's unicode model: implicit upgrading from byte-strings to unicode-strings assumes that they were encoded in ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1), but unicode-strings are downgraded with UTF-8 encoding. This happens because the first 256 codepoints in Unicode happens to agree with Latin-1. However, this silent upgrading can easily cause problems, if you happen to mix unicode strings with non-Latin1 data -- i.e. byte-strings encoded in UTF-8 or other encodings. The error will not manifest until the combined string is written to output, at which time it would be impossible to see where did the silent upgrading occur. Detecting the problem This module simplifies the process of diagnosing such problems. Just put this line on top of your main program: use encoding::warnings; Afterwards, implicit upgrading of high-bit bytes will raise a warning. Ex.: "Bytes implicitly upgraded into wide characters as iso-8859-1 at - line 7". However, strings composed purely of ASCII code points (0x00..0x7F) will not trigger this warning. You can also make the warnings fatal by importing this module as: use encoding::warnings 'FATAL'; Solving the problem Most of the time, this warning occurs when a byte-string is concatenated with a unicode-string. There are a number of ways to solve it: o Upgrade both sides to unicode-strings If your program does not need compatibility for Perl 5.6 and earlier, the recommended approach is to apply appropriate IO disciplines, so all data in your program become unicode-strings. See encoding, open and "binmode" in perlfunc for how. o Downgrade both sides to byte-strings The other way works too, especially if you are sure that all your data are under the same encoding, or if compatibility with older versions of Perl is desired. You may downgrade strings with "Encode::encode" and "utf8::encode". See Encode and utf8 for details. o Specify the encoding for implicit byte-string upgrading If you are confident that all byte-strings will be in a specific encoding like UTF-8, and need not support older versions of Perl, use the "encoding" pragma: use encoding 'utf8'; Similarly, this will silence warnings from this module, and preserve the default behaviour: use encoding 'iso-8859-1'; However, note that "use encoding" actually had three distinct effects: o PerlIO layers for STDIN and STDOUT This is similar to what open pragma does. o Literal conversions This turns all literal string in your program into unicode-strings (equivalent to a "use utf8"), by decoding them using the specified encoding. o Implicit upgrading for byte-strings This will silence warnings from this module, as shown above. Because literal conversions also work on empty strings, it may surprise some people: use encoding 'big5'; my $byte_string = pack("C*", 0xA4, 0x40); print length $a; # 2 here. $a .= ""; # concatenating with a unicode string... print length $a; # 1 here! In other words, do not "use encoding" unless you are certain that the program will not deal with any raw, 8-bit binary data at all. However, the "Filter => 1" flavor of "use encoding" will not affect implicit upgrading for byte-strings, and is thus incapable of silencing warnings from this module. See encoding for more details. CAVEATS
For Perl 5.9.4 or later, this module's effect is lexical. For Perl versions prior to 5.9.4, this module affects the whole script, instead of inside its lexical block. SEE ALSO
perlunicode, perluniintro open, utf8, encoding, Encode AUTHORS
Audrey Tang COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 by Audrey Tang <cpan@audreyt.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 encoding::warnings(3pm)