Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot mount boot archive
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot mount boot archive Post 302381525 by freeware on Friday 18th of December 2009 02:43:57 PM
Old 12-18-2009
Quote:
Why dont you download the latest to install?
well, i'm trying to learn something about of unix, after I've used linux for some months, so if I would made a fresh install of solaris I won't learn anything about the solaris maintainence practises. That's all Smilie.
anyway I think with single-user you mean the screen I called safe boot mode, I go there and type what you suggested but i don't have /dev/dsk/cxtxdxs0 voice , i see only cxdxp0 and cxdxsx ones. the cxdxsx goes from c0d1s0 to c0d1s15, I tried anyway to type bootadm update-archive -R /mnt but I have this message back
Code:
/mnt/: not a GRUB boot OS instance

don't know what does it mean.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unable to mount NFS share during boot

Hello Everyone, I have a pseries machine running AIX 4.3.3 that has an invalid IP in /etc/hosts. During a boot the system hangs because it's trying to mount an NFS share to this invalid IP. I've tried to boot the system from a mksysb (not sure if the device was defined as rmt0) and AIX CD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlslhills
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Boot problem: failed to mount /usr

My Solaris10 cannot boot after I made an error when apending the vfstab to: dev to mount======/dev/dsk/c0d0p1:1 device to fsck====== <blank> mount pt=========/Data FS Type==========pcfs fsck pass=========- mount at boot=====yes mount options===== <blank> My 'Data' partition is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maag
3 Replies

3. AIX

NFS does not mount on boot!

Hi, Can someone help me on this? I'm not able to enable a well working mounting process for NFS filesystems on boot time. On the server side (AIX 5.2) everything seems to be OK and correctly exported, seeing other clients (AIX 5.2) are able to mount normally on boot time. On a client in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: padawan75
5 Replies

4. Solaris

boot-archive issue

I had logged into Server via ALOM and was placed into runlevel 5 other than 3 which is default. I did a svcadm delete boot-archive, and was promptly placed in runlevel 3. Now, I am unable to do a telnet or login into the server through any other service. bash-3.00# svcs -a svcs -a STATE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenr
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Open Boot PROM - OK Prompt +dd +mount

Greetings friends, I would like to 'clone' the system/root hard disk with dd. (Solaris 10 on SPARC). If I understood correctly, 'OK Prompt' can use dd command? Can it mount drives? (to avoid any possibility of cloning the wrong drive, I'd like to output dd to file) thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
3 Replies

6. Solaris

archive logs mount point space check script

I have the below shell script which is checking /archlog mount point space on cappire(solaris 10) server. When the space usage is above 80% it should e-mail. When i tested this script it is working as expected. -------------------------------------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Need help to boot a server and mount all partitions

Hello, I am having an issue with a SUN FIRE V440. First of all, lots of mirrors and submirrors needed maintenance, so I applied #metasync to fix all of them, but I still couldn't mount all the partitions of the server . I tried to mount manually all the partitions that appear in the /etc/vfstab... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot-archive Problem

I disabled the boot-archive service by using #svcadm disable svc:/system/boot-archive:default then i rebooted my system but i am unable to boot. It throws the following errors CONSOLE LOGIN SERVICE(S) CANNOT RUN then it automatically asked me for the maintenance mode passwd. i logged... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot boot nor mount

After applying the latest patchset on a Sun v240 (SPARC, 64b Solaris 10), I got the below error: Boot device: disk File and args: | Evaluating: Out of memory Warning: Fcode sequence resulted in a net stack depth change of 1 Evaluating: Evaluating: The file just loaded does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Boot archive file sizes are different on cluster units

Hi experts, I would have a question on boot archive files on solaris10 platform running on T5220 cluster servers. When we check the /platform/sun4v directory , and perform boot archive-list , we see that on both units same files exist. And when we mount the boot archive we see that all files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
0 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)