Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc Post 302381133 by duc904 on Thursday 17th of December 2009 08:52:15 AM
Old 12-17-2009
editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc

Hi

since we migrated from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 I do miss a nice feature when editing crontab with vim editor: no more color highlighting after starting to edit. Well there is a hack, see below.

I did define:
export EDITOR='vim -c ":source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc"'

Under Sol8 when starting to edit crontab I did get automatically the entries highlighted with colors I did define in .vimrc .

Under Sol10 this direct way is no longer possible(?)

I have to start editing crontab:
$ crontab -e

and then in CLI mode I enter:
:source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc
and the highlighting is available.

any ideas what I have to change additionally so I do not have to source .vimrc separately?

Thanks and regards,
duc904

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Crontab

Hi I am not able to edit crontab. Following is the comand that is being issued $crontab -e 2764 ............ This is what I am able to see But when I do $crontab -l List of all the crontab entry is displayed. Also I am seeing one entry in my /etc/cron.d prw------- 1 root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

VIMRC question ????

Hi There, :) I Need to put the following command in the vimrc for the execution of ECLIPSE so I have written smthing like as follows, export PATH=$PATH:/JVM location after this i go to my eclipse folder and when I execute STILL it is not getting opened..... Any Help that makes my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk_linux
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a cron file with crontab

I want to set up a file with crontab to run the cron deamon so I can use at to schedule jobs. I think the crontab file (or whatever you call it) has to be set up. Currently, I don't have a crontab file (I checked by typing sudo crontab -u myusername -l), and I don't know the syntax for creating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

5. Fedora

editing crontab help

I'm using fedora 5 and sql 5.0. I'm trying to edit the crontab to perform automatic backups of my database. For some reason it isn't working. Here is what I have so far. 15 2 * * * /usr/bin/mysqldump -opt -all-databases u root -ppassword -h localhost... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: randerson21
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimrc help with line endings

I was reading this and thought I could put this in my vimrc and it would convert the line endings to unix. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? set ff=unixManaging/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran I used this command and it confirms that my global option is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing crontab via ksh

Hi all, I am trying the following I am hoping that the crontab would be changed. but it prints the previous crontab and says Can anyone tell me the correct ksh command that should be used here? I don't want to edit the crontab with crontab -e, I need to edit it via ksh. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaba
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between .vimrc and .exrc?

What is the difference between .vimrc and .exrc? I google it but didn't find the brief explanation? Regards ADI (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Crontab editing issue

Hi, OS - SunOS I gave crontab -e then it returns zero. $ crontab -e 0 ? ? Crontab status - $ ps -ef | grep cron root 2481 1 0 May 12 ? 0:18 /usr/sbin/cron Please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
9 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and they are not intended to be edited directly. (Darwin note: Although cron(8) and crontab(5) are officially supported under Darwin, their functionality has been absorbed into launchd(8), which provides a more flexible way of automatically executing commands. See launchctl(1) for more information.) If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file does not exist but the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for com- ments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), compat(5), cron(8), launchctl(1) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
December 29, 1993 BSD