Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inserting control characters at the end of each line Post 302381130 by Shobana_s on Thursday 17th of December 2009 08:43:33 AM
Old 12-17-2009
Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Shobana

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting characters before each line...

Hi , the fog is fulling my brain after holidays , somebody can help me ? I have a file in input like that : toto tata tutu and trying with awk to insert the compete file string as : /dir1/dir2/toto /dir1/dir2/tata /dir1/dir2/tutu i used to write : awk 'BEGIN {FS="\\"} {print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a line at the end

Hi All, I am using the below script to enter the URL at the end of file: echo "Enter the URL that should point to the particular microsite" read url sed "$a $url" redirects.virgin-atlantic.com.conf > temp But am getting the below error: ./script.sh:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a ' at the end of each line

Hi all, I can use the following command to insert a ' at the beginning of each line sed "s/^/'/g" test.txt > test1.txt However, I'm unable to use the following to insert a ' at the end of each line in this way sed "s/$/'/g" test.txt > test1.txt Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthiknaidu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: Awk to control number of characters per line

Hello all, I have the following problem: My input is two sorted files: file1 >1_19_130_F3 T01220131330230213311013000000110000 >1_23_69_F3 T01200211300200200010000001000000 >1_24_124_F3 T010203113002002111111200002010 file2 >1_19_130_F3 24 18 9 18 23 4 11 4 5 9 5 8 15 20 4 4 7 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding characters end of line where line begins with..

Hi all, using VI, can anyone tell me how to add some characters onto the end of a line where the line begins with certain charactars eg a,b,c,......., r,s,t,........, a,b,c,......., all lines in the above example starting with a,b,c, I want to add an x at the end of the line so the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting semicolon at the end of a line

HI Am totally confused with sed and translate command command.. My problem is I have a file like # vi test.csv ABC_IMUY ERD0_FN VEG_NON_DES_IYT BUY4_FLOW POI_SHD_URDF_IYUT_REDS_CYC UYT_PMC4_WIND EX_FRE_FRD_L2_REF_FLICT JHY_SGT_DSE_L2 IYO_HYTR_FGT_L3_BGT_ICT... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inserting n characters to beginning of line if match

I would like to insert n number of characters at the beginning of each line that starts with a given character. If possible, I would be most appreciative for a sed or awk solution. Given the data below, I would like to be able to insert either 125 spaces or 125 "-" at the beginning of every line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inserting a blank line at the end of a .txt file?

Hi there, I am having this problem: a) I am uploading a txt file from windows (notepad) with some Gaussian 09 command lines; b) Gaussian needs in certain command files, that those files have a blank line at the end of the file! c) I open the command file with vi and no blank line at the of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luismga
2 Replies
curs_add_wchstr(3X)													       curs_add_wchstr(3X)

NAME
add_wchstr, add_wchnstr, wadd_wchstr, wadd_wchnstr, mvadd_wchstr, mvadd_wchnstr, mvwadd_wchstr, mvwadd_wchnstr - add an array of complex characters (and attributes) to a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int add_wchstr(const cchar_t *wchstr); int add_wchnstr(const cchar_t *wchstr, int n); int wadd_wchstr(WINDOW * win, const cchar_t *wchstr); int wadd_wchnstr(WINDOW * win, const cchar_t *wchstr, int n); int mvadd_wchstr(int y, int x, const cchar_t *wchstr); int mvadd_wchnstr(int y, int x, const cchar_t *wchstr, int n); int mvwadd_wchstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const cchar_t *wchstr); int mvwadd_wchnstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const cchar_t *wchstr, int n); DESCRIPTION
These routines copy the array of complex characters wchstr into the window image structure at and after the current cursor position. The four routines with n as the last argument copy at most n elements, but no more than will fit on the line. If n=-1 then the whole array is copied, to the maximum number of characters that will fit on the line. The window cursor is not advanced. These routines work faster than waddnstr. On the other hand, they do not perform checking (such as for the newline, backspace, or carriage return characters), they do not advance the current cursor position, they do not expand other control characters to ^-escapes, and they truncate the string if it crosses the right margin, rather then wrapping it around to the new line. These routines end successfully on encountering a null cchar_t, or when they have filled the current line. If a complex character cannot completely fit at the end of the current line, the remaining columns are filled with the background character and rendition. NOTES
All functions except wadd_wchnstr may be macros. RETURN VALUES
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and OK on success. PORTABILITY
All these entry points are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_addchstr(3X) curs_addwstr(3X) curs_add_wchstr(3X)