Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I don't want to truncate trailing spaces and ^M at the end of line Post 302381098 by Tytalus on Thursday 17th of December 2009 07:16:48 AM
Old 12-17-2009
what are the rules you're applying ?

and what is the value of m ? I don't see that defined in your snippet ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I don't want to truncate spaces

I have a script that is adding text to a existing file and creating new file. This part is working fine.... But the new file is truncated by script and all null spaced column are truncated. What is my solution...please some body advice .... thanks in advance pre_line="+_)(*&" spaces=" "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing spaces from a line

I want to remove the trailing spaces from any line of file. line ending does not follow any pattern. plz help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append end of line with 8 spaces

child_amt=$amount prev_line="$prev_line $child_amt" i am getting the result like this 21234567890001343 000001004OLFXXX029100020091112 0000060 but i want 8 spaces between the eg: 21234567890001343 000001004OLFXXX029100020091112 0000060 how can i do this in .ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshuser
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

./TRUNCATE-PS_TXN.sh: line 54: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Hi All , My below script is for chacking vaule and then trucating table : ___________ test4@aceuatcs04:/u01/test4/SOLID/Testscript>cat TRUNCATE-PS_TXN.sh #-------------------------------------------------------------------- # Created by:Kaushlesh Yadav # Generated on: 15/07/2010 # Job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushelsh168
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete trailing whitespace from end of each line in column 1 only

Hi All. How can I convert this: ABC_1_1 ABC_1_2 ABC_1_3 into this: ABC_1 1 ABC_1 2 ABC_1 3 I tried this command but it is not working: awk '{sub(/+$/,"\t", $1)}{print}' Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you :wall: Please use code tags when posting data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)