Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters) Post 302380508 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 15th of December 2009 11:11:57 AM
Old 12-15-2009
Your Perl program is incorrect syntax-wise. You may want to look up basic conditions and loop structures in the documentation or a good textbook.

Maybe this is what you are looking for -

Code:
$
$ cat -n f7
     1  this is line 1
     2  this is line 2
     3  this is line 3
     4  this is line 4
     5  this is line 5
     6  this is line 6
     7  this is line 7
     8  this is line 8
     9  this is line 9
    10  this is line 10
$
$
$ perl -lne 'BEGIN {$RM="BLAH"}
             if ($. == 3) {print qq(RM="rm2")}
             elsif ($. == 5) {print qq($RM)}
             elsif ($. == 7) {print qq(rmdesc="Result process")}
             else {print}' f7
this is line 1
this is line 2
RM="rm2"
this is line 4
BLAH
this is line 6
rmdesc="Result process"
this is line 8
this is line 9
this is line 10
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding lines at special place in crontab

Hi , i export the crontab in a file (i've no root right) and i would add lines from a file at a special place and rewrite the output in an another file. the special place is as this : 45 04 * * * /home/toto.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 # so i would search for toto.sh and insert the lines , the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to a file between lines

Suppose content of my first file: first line second line third line How can i insert text between "first line" & "second Iline" Any help?????/ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines having special characters

Hi, I have a file which has numerous lines and some of the lines having special characters in it. i want to grep the lines which are having special characters. say, one line looks like - %*()$#@"", | acbd antoher line looks like ***##^%! | efcg so these kind of lines are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the lines which contains special characters

Hi All, My source file contains special characters(Latin characters).I need to fetch only the lines which contains the special characters. The problem is i don't know which all latin/special characters can come in the source. Is there anyway to extract the lines which contain letters other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe!!
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lines starting with special characters

Hi I have a file and need to extract lines starting with "grep ^" I tried with quotes single/double before/after but no luck. suggestion pls, thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with listing file name containing particular text and count of lines with 10 characters.

Hi, I've 2 queries. I need to list files which doesn't contain a particular text in the content. For example say, I need to list files which doesn't contain string "abc" from all files ending with *.bad. How can I do that? Also, I want to display number of lines in a file which has atleast... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?

Hi, I need to create a test text file with the special characters \342\200\223 in it and to be able to use sed maybe to delete them I tried doing it using vi by pressing CTRL-V and then typing 342 but it does not work. After pressing CTRL-V and typing 342 it seems to just insert the numbers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
line(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           line(1)

NAME
line - read one line SYNOPSIS
line DESCRIPTION
The line utility copies one line (up to and including a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit status of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is: 0 Successful completion >0 End-of-file on input. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 line(1)