Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string Post 302380408 by mwrg on Tuesday 15th of December 2009 05:01:43 AM
Old 12-15-2009
Thanks a lot Pludi Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search all files for specific string

Hi Friends, How can I search all files in all slices on a unix system for a particular string within the file. e.g search string 'oracle' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in specific directory

I have to search a file in a prticular directory. filename will be passed through command line. The directory may contain subdirectory. i.e. suppose directory in /u03/appl (it can hard coded in script). This directory may contain subdirectory. $ scriptname.sh filename output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a specific string

Hi, I have following requirement. Pls suggest. To search a string in a file which is combination of character and number(always 9 digit, but numeric). if found then caputure the exit return code as 0 else 1 , if 0 then next job can be triggerd. If exit code is 1, should return a failure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search directory for specific file?

I am new to Unix scripting and would like some help. Here is my scenario: 1) I have a text files that contains two fields: file name and retention period in months: File1 36 file2 24 File3 12 2) The directory I am searching contains sequential files. 3) I need to be able to take the file name... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustafa19804
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search in specific directory using find?

Hi, Is there any way to use find command and search only specific subdirectories in a directory. for example /home/d1 /home/d2 /home/d3 i want to search in the following directories /home /home/d1 /home/d2 i do not want the find command to search the /home/d3 directory. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific string logfile specific date range

Hi, I have logfile like this.. === 2014-02-09 15:46:59,936 INFO RequestContext - URL: '/eyisp/sc/skins/EY/images/pickers/comboBoxPicker_Over.png', User-Agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko': Unsupported with Accept-Encoding header === 2015-02-09... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.?

Hi All, How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory. If I use grep -i 'hello' *.* It will search for the string hello in the files of current directory. But I want to check for the string hello in the files of all the directories. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - locate source, binary, and/or manual for program SYNOPSIS
dir... name... DESCRIPTION
locates source, binary, and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form (such as Prefixes of resulting from use of SCCS are also dealt with. then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Limit search to binary files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source-code files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files. Can be used in conjunction with or Search for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus, searches for those files in the current directory that have no corresponding manual entry. Limit search to binaries located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Terminates the last directory list or options) and identifies the start of file names. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Find all the files in that are not documented in with source files in WARNINGS
uses the system call (see chdir(2)) to run faster. Therefore, path names given with the and options must be absolute path names. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
whereis(1)