Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't understand the script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't understand the script Post 302380332 by daptal on Monday 14th of December 2009 10:59:42 PM
Old 12-14-2009
Code:
sed 's/(//g;s/)//g;s/ /-/g' a
021-654-1234

The above is a sed command with three functionalities

1) s/(//g; to substitute "(" with nothing
2)s/)//g; to substitute ")" with nothing
3) s/ /-/g to substitute " ' with -

the flag "g" stands for globally that is for eg: if they are 1 or more instances of ( all will be replaced

Regarding 2nd cmd what is the error it throws ?

HTH,
PL

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help wanted to understand MQ script

hi , i am writing a script to copy the MQ messages from onw queue to another. The following i got from one site, but i di not understand , can anyone explain. /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER -i$Q_NAME_SRC_1 -F/logs/mq/MQ_COPYdump_$Q_NAME_SRC_1.$$ /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the script

Hi All; Is there anybody can explain this script please? trap 'C_logmsg "F" "CNTL/c OS signal trapped, Script ${G_SCRIPTNAME] terminated"; exit 1' 2 trap 'C_logmsg "F" "Kill Job Event sent from the Console, Script ${G_SCRIPTNAME] terminated"; exit 1' 15 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thankbe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the script pls help

Can u please explain what it is doing #!/bin/sh fullyear=`/home/local/bin/datemmdd 1`"."`date +%Y` uehist=/u05/home/celldba/utility/ue/prod/history echo $fullyear cd $uehist ls -ltr pwroutages.master.$fullyear* | awk '{print $9}' > /u01/home/celldba/tmp/pwroutages_master_all_tmp while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand ksh script

Hi All, I have a ksh script & would like to understand mening of below lines in script, Starting lines of script is as below, #!/bin/ksh #%W% %I% %D% %T% ---- ??? #%W%G --- ??? num_ctrl_files=0 OS=`uname` if then //g' | egrep -v '(.sh:|.ksh:)' | sed 's/^.*://g' | sed 's/^M//g' |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understand script formte

Hi i have one script and i am running it but not getting current output so i want to understand how to input in the script. when i do help then i am getting below massage thanks got it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand a script

Hello world! Can someone please explain me how this code works? I'ts supposed to find words in a dictionary and show the anagrams of the words. { part = word2key($1) data = $1 } function word2key(word, a, i, x, result) { x = split(word, a, "") asort(a) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jose2802
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't understand script output

New to korn shel1 and having an issue. The following is suppose to read the parameter values from files in a source directory and then pass them on to a log file in a different directory, The ArchiveTracker scripts is suppose to call the parameterreader script to exact the parameter values and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand the below shell script

Please help me to understand the below 3 lines of code.execute shell in jenkins 1)APP_IP=$( docker inspect --format '{{ .NetworkSettings.Networks.'"$DOCKER_NETWORK_NAME"'.IPAddress }}' ${PROJECT_NAME_KEY}"-CI" ) 2)HOST_WORKSPACE=$(echo ${WORKSPACE} | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naresh85
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help me understand this script

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN {i=1;file="modified.txt"} { if ($0 !~ /^DS:/) {print $0 >> file} else { if ($0 ~ /^DS:/) {print "DS: ",i >> file;if (i==8) {i=1} else {i++}}; } } END {gzip file} Can someone explain to me how this above script works, I got it from a friend but not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
3 Replies
HOTSWAPRC(5)							File Formats Manual						      HOTSWAPRC(5)

NAME
hotswaprc - configuration file for hotswap DESCRIPTION
/etc/hotswaprc is the global configuration file for the hotswap utility. It allows system administrators to specify arbitrary shell scripts to be run after a device is inserted, as well as before and after it is removed. Scripts are selected according to the model name retrieved from the device. This is particularly helpful for automatic configura- tion of CD-RW drives, which require SCSI emulation and bypass normal access via the IDE subsystem. hotswaprc is implemented as an Extensible Mark-up Language (XML) application. XML documents are structured using elements of the form <tag-name> content <tag-name>. A Document Type Definition (DTD) describes the possible content of each element. Please refer to the XML specification for more information. The hotswap distribution also contains an example file, doc/hotswaprc.example, which includes the DTD for the configuration file format. ELEMENTS
<hotswap> This is the root element of the document. Each valid hotswaprc must contain exactly one <hotswap> element. The <hotswap> element may contain an arbitrary number of <device> elements. <device> The configuration file contains one <device> element for every device for which scripts are defined. The <device> element is com- posed of the following elements in this order: <name>, <post-insert>, <pre-remove>, <post-remove>. All but <name> are optional. <name> The content of this element is the model identification string of the IDE device the current <device> element refers to. <post-insert> Contains the shell script that is to be executed after the device has been inserted and registered with the kernel. <pre-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run before hotswap attempts to unregister the device. <post-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run after the device had been unregistered. REPORT BUGS
Report bugs to t.stadelmann1@physics.ox.ac.uk. AUTHOR
Written by Tim Stadelmann. SEE ALSO
hotswap(1), xhotswap(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Tim Stadelmann. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. 26th November 2002 HOTSWAPRC(5)