Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy/Paste in Vi editor
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy/Paste in Vi editor Post 302380261 by nerd1951 on Monday 14th of December 2009 04:50:03 PM
Old 12-14-2009
You can use the yw command to yank words so for a number like 1.143 you would use
3yw since vi see this as 3 words "1" "." "143". Then go to where you want to paste it and just use the paste command "p".

For a signed number like -119.191 you would use 4yw.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cut, Copy and Paste with X

One of the things that I have learned to take for granted in the Win32 world is the cut, copy and paste hotkeys of ^X, ^C and ^V. I use these keys all the time under Win32 to copy and paste information from one GUI into another GUI. My question is, does X have a similiar standard? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auswipe
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut, copy + paste

Hi all! How do I cut, copy and paste under unix??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aitor314
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi editor prefixes lines with # upon paste

I've been away from Unix and the vi editor for a while, and now I'm using vi (actually vim) in a Cygwin bash shell. When I copy-and-paste code examples (I'm playing with perl now) any time I paste code with lines beginning with the # character, vi inserts a # character at the beginning of every... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenmangroup
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, copy and paste

Can i search in a file for more than one string at a time? And copy the next string after that and paste it in column style? Is it possible? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed copy paste

Hello, I have this path and file: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txt I want to end up with: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txtTHIS_SPOT Take the dir after the 10th slash, add a tab at the end and paste the dir it copied. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi copy/paste problem

I'm having a problem copy/pasting from a txt file in windows to vi. What happens is I copy a chunk of text, go to the putty terminal, go into insert mode, and right click, and it will stop pasting at a random point and freeze up. Nothing I do gets out of it. This only happens on my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solidarity
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste to a new document

Hello, I am quite new to shell scripting so don't know all the tools available. What I'm trying to do is open a file optimal.txt search for objectiveValue and copy the number in quotes next to it. e.g. ... solutionName="incumbent" solutionIndex="-1" objectiveValue="13246" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StephanR
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and paste data

I need to copy from specified lines and paste the data into several other lines. XX123450008 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x XX123451895 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x ...... XX123452012 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy n paste n times

I have one mainframe copy book where I want to copy n times depend on occurs which mention below. Example: Below highlighted row mention “occurs 2 times” so I need to copy 2 times till next label 10. C14992 10 FILLER PIC X(2835). 01 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivalli
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/paste in vi editor

Hello guys, I am trying to copy a line in vi editor and paste it with below commands but paste command is not working and instead of paste action prints the p character!! I should also mention that the server is Solaris... 1) crontab -e 2) j to move down 3) yy to copy the line 4) o to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newman
4 Replies
tail(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
number] [file] number] [file] number] [file] Obsolescent: [file] DESCRIPTION
copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, standard input is used. Command Forms can be used in three forms as indicated above: Copy file starting at number blocks from end or beginning of file. Copy file starting at number bytes from end or beginning of file. Copy file starting at number lines from end or beginning of file. with no options specified is equivalent to Options and Command-Line Arguments recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Follow option. If the input file is a regular file or if file specifies a FIFO, do not terminate after the last line of the input file has been copied, but read and copy further bytes from the input file when they become available enters an end- less loop wherein it sleeps for one second then attempts to read and copy further records from the input file). This is useful when monitoring text being written to a file by another process. If no file argument is specified and the input is a pipe (FIFO), the option is ignored. number Decimal integer indicating quantity of output to be copied, measured in units specified by accompanying option. If number is preceded by a character, copy operation starts number units from beginning of file. If number is preceded by a character or the option name, copy operation starts number units from end of file. If number is not preceded by a or option, is assumed. If both the option and number are not specified, is assumed. Copy file beginning number 512-byte blocks from end or beginning of file. If number is not specified, is assumed. See number descrip- tion above. Copy file beginning number bytes from end or beginning of file. If number is not specified, is assumed. See number description above. Copy file beginning number lines from end or beginning of file. If number is not specified, is assumed. See number description above. file Name of file to be copied. If not specified, the standard input is used. If the option is specified, the input file can contain arbitrary data. Otherwise, the input file should be a text file. Obsolescent Form In the obsolescent form, option letters can be concatenated after the number argument to select blocks, bytes, or lines. If this syntax is used, must be the first argument given. If number is not specified, -10 is assumed. This version is provided for backward compatibility only. The forms discussed previously are recommended for portability. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (e.g., single- versus multibyte characters in arguments and input files). determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. However, the and options can break multi-byte characters and should be used with caution in a multi-byte locale environment. EXAMPLES
Print the last three lines in file to the standard output, and leave in ``follow'' mode: Print the last 15 bytes of file followed by any lines that are appended to after is initiated until it is killed: Three ways to print an entire file: WARNINGS
Various kinds of anomalous behavior may occur with character special files. For piped output, is limited in its output and depends on process limits. SEE ALSO
dd(1), head(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tail(1)