Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Requesting full back up scripts Post 302380248 by burnie35 on Monday 14th of December 2009 03:54:04 PM
Old 12-14-2009
i am hoping to start a linux college course next year but wanted to have some experience before starting so got some past papers from a college student i know on some linux course questions (a few years old) and working through them. the edited question is a company wishes to to develop a new utility which will aid the users in backing up and restoring files in their own personal directory area. in doing this development, it should be recognised that script files are treated like any other i.e. they should be stored in a directory called scriptfiles.
only one utility is to be developed
the utility will give the user the option to back upor restore a set of files
the utility will give the user the ability to specify which type of file is to be used in particular back up or restore session.
the utility should be robust with respect to files and directories and the possible overwriting of files
i'm sorry for the size of the question but did not know what to leave out
thanks for any help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing scripts in back ground

Hi, Test1.ksh #! /bin/ksh for i in $* do #echo "$i" ksh test2.ksh $i & done test2.ksh #! /bin/ksh sleep 5s echo "From Test 1 ==> $1" exit 0; I am executing as follows: ksh test1.ksh a b c (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
10 Replies

2. Solaris

Back up scripts

Hi Everyone, I would like to write a Back-up script for huge files and 3 day old file. I think i need to use Tar command for it. But I am not sure how this can be done. Can someone please assist me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
4 Replies

3. AIX

Help with back ground scripts...

I have a user that runs a menu driven application, is there a way to see what scripts this application is executing in the back ground? OS=AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mangolinux
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - Show all directories with full information ( and no files)

Hello all, i'm stumped.... I need to list all directories with all there info and exclude the files, then vice versa. I am not sure if I need to string several ls commands together or how to even do that. I believe I need to do some variation of ls -l but need to figure out how to take out the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Concatination of string in bash scripts containing back slashes.

My script is as follows: #!/bin/bash STR1="test" echo $STR1 STR2="/bldtmp/"$STR1 echo $STR2 STR3=$STR2'/tmp' echo $STR3 output i am geting ---------------- test /bldtmp/test /tmptmp/test but my need is: ------------------ test /bldtmp/test (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the scripts full dir path

lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ ./test.sh . lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ cat test.sh #!/bin/bash echo `dirname $0` lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ pwd /home/lyang0 it doesn't get "/home/lyang0" and only when run /home/lyang0/test.sh it will get, but how can I do, then it can get the real... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl scripts: requesting for logic explanation

Hi, balajesuri and durden_tyler, I have found your perl script for the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/176370-perl-script-help-me-extracting-string.html, but find it difficult to understand the syntax. Could you or any forum members kindly shed some light on the logic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Deja-dup make my / full. So I cannot restore my back up

The problematic directory is the following: /root/.cache/deja-dup This directory grows until my "/" is full and then the restoring activity fails. I already tried to create a symbolic link with origin another partition where I have more space. However during the restoring activity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puertas12
4 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1)					     pbuilder					       pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1)

NAME
pbuilder-user-mode-linux - personal package builder in UML SYNOPSIS
pbuilder-user-mode-linux create [options] pbuilder-user-mode-linux update [options] pbuilder-user-mode-linux build [options] .dsc-file pbuilder-user-mode-linux execute [options] script pbuilder-user-mode-linux login [options] DESCRIPTION
Front end program to the pbuilder suite of programs, used for creating and maintaining user-mode-linux environment and building Debian package within the user-mode-linux virtual machine environment. Unlike pbuilder , pbuilder-user-mode-linux does not require root privilege to run. It should be ran under a normal user. OPTIONS
create Creates a user-mode-linux root image for the specified distribution using rootstrap software update Updates the user-mode-linux root image for the specified distribution. Also, by specifying the --distribution option, it is possi- ble to switch the distribution. Specify a dummy distribution value even for custom apt config files. build Builds the package specified by .dsc-file within the user-mode-linux environment. login Invokes shell within UML. dumpconfig dumps configuration information about user-mode-linux, used for debugging. execute Invokes a command or script inside UML. execute will copy the specified file into the UML system, and run it. The remaining command-line arguments are passed on to the script. --uml-image [UML image] Specify the UML image to use. --eth0 [uml option for eth0] Specify this option as parameter to UML. Specify --eth0=slirp,12345,/usr/bin/slirp-fullbolt to use the slirp connection. --uml-ip [IP inside UML] Specify this to set the IP inside UML. This can be set to dhcp for obtaining IP address through DHCP. --uml-netmask [netmask] The netmask. --uml-network [network] The network address. --uml-broadcast [broadcast] The broadcast address. --uml-gateway [gateway] The gateway address. --mount-tmpfs [yes] Specify whether to mount tmpfs inside UML chroot. --uml-hostname [uml-host] The hostname inside uml. --distribution [sid] Specify the distribution. see pbuilder(8) --binary-arch Specify only to build binary-arch targets. see pbuilder(8) --timeout timeouttime Timeout build after specified time. see pbuilder(8) --configfile config file to read Makes pbuilder to read the config file inside UML. pbuilder-user-mode-linux itself would be affected by the contents of the config file. --hookdir location of hooks Makes pbuilder use the specified hookdir inside UML. --aptconfdir apt configuretion directory Makes pbuilder to use specified apt configuration directory instead of other settings. See pbuilder(8) --override-config Specify this option along with --distribution to switch distribution using pbuilder-user-mode-linux update --logfile logfilename Specify this option to make the output go to logfilename as well as standard output. --buildresult /dir/to/build/result The directory where build result is placed to --uml-debugmode Enable tracing of shell scripts used by pbuilder-user-mode-linux. --bindmounts /dir/to/bind-mount Bind-mount the directory inside the chroot inside the user-mode-linux. --buildplace place-to-put-COW-file Specify the directory to place the COW file. The user needs to be able to access that directory, and the directory must exist. --uml-login-nocow Do not use COW filesystem when using pbuilder-user-mode-linux login so that changes made in the log in session will persist. Effective in login and exec options. --mirror [mirror location] Specifies the URL of Debian mirror to be specified in sources.list inside the chroot. This option is only valid when distribution is being specified, for update and build targets. The format is something like: http://http.us.debian.org/debian which should point to your favourite mirror. This option can optionally be omitted, and left blank, in which case, this part is skipped. Note that these URLs specified to pbuilder will be used from within the chroot, and specifying file:/somewhere/ will most probably fail. --othermirror [deb http://xxx/xxx/ ./ | other deb lines... ] The lines which is added to the sources.list, delimited with | Like deb http://local/mirror stable main|deb file:/usr/local/mirror ./ The deb lines here are the ones that will appear at the top of the sources.list inside the chroot. Be sure to follow the syntax rules of sources.list(5). These lines appear at the beginning of the constructed sources file, so this is the place to list your local mirror sites; apt will then use them in preference to the ones listed in --mirror . These options are only valid when --override-config option is specified in update target, or when pbuilder create is being called. NOTES
For build and login targets, pbuilder-user-mode-linux will try to use COW devices. Inside user-mode-linux, pbuilder-user-mode-linux will mount tmpfs as /tmp to avoid temporary file race conditions with outside of UML. This may cause problems trying to use files in /tmp directory. FILES
/etc/pbuilderrc The system-wide configuration file for pbuilder. /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc The default settings for pbuilder, used as fallback for all values that is not specified in /etc/pbuilderrc. /etc/pbuilder/pbuilder-uml.conf System-wide configuration file for pbuilder-uml, it will take priority over pbuilder configurations. /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilder-uml.conf Software-default configuration file for pbuilder-uml. ${HOME}/.pbuilderrc User-default configuration file. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html, pdebuild(1), pbuilder(8), rootstrap(1), linux(1), pbuilderrc(5), pbuilder-uml.conf(5) Debian 2005 Jun 12 pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1)