Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string Post 302380087 by pludi on Monday 14th of December 2009 07:33:45 AM
Old 12-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas898
Code:
grep -i "string" `find ./ -name "*.txt"`

That approach has 2 potential problems:
  1. The *.txt glob will be expanded if there are files with the txt extension in the current directory, screwing up the find command.
  2. If find returns too many files, grep/the shell will refuse running and complain about a too large argument list

Also, I'd advise anyone against using backticks and use the $() construct instead, as it's less likely to be misinterpreted, and can be nested multiple times.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search all files for specific string

Hi Friends, How can I search all files in all slices on a unix system for a particular string within the file. e.g search string 'oracle' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in specific directory

I have to search a file in a prticular directory. filename will be passed through command line. The directory may contain subdirectory. i.e. suppose directory in /u03/appl (it can hard coded in script). This directory may contain subdirectory. $ scriptname.sh filename output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a specific string

Hi, I have following requirement. Pls suggest. To search a string in a file which is combination of character and number(always 9 digit, but numeric). if found then caputure the exit return code as 0 else 1 , if 0 then next job can be triggerd. If exit code is 1, should return a failure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search directory for specific file?

I am new to Unix scripting and would like some help. Here is my scenario: 1) I have a text files that contains two fields: file name and retention period in months: File1 36 file2 24 File3 12 2) The directory I am searching contains sequential files. 3) I need to be able to take the file name... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mustafa19804
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search in specific directory using find?

Hi, Is there any way to use find command and search only specific subdirectories in a directory. for example /home/d1 /home/d2 /home/d3 i want to search in the following directories /home /home/d1 /home/d2 i do not want the find command to search the /home/d3 directory. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific string logfile specific date range

Hi, I have logfile like this.. === 2014-02-09 15:46:59,936 INFO RequestContext - URL: '/eyisp/sc/skins/EY/images/pickers/comboBoxPicker_Over.png', User-Agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko': Unsupported with Accept-Encoding header === 2015-02-09... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishk
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.?

Hi All, How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory. If I use grep -i 'hello' *.* It will search for the string hello in the files of current directory. But I want to check for the string hello in the files of all the directories. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)