Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem using echo command for text starting with / Post 302380038 by sarbjit on Monday 14th of December 2009 04:13:30 AM
Old 12-14-2009
Problem using echo command for text starting with /

Hi,

i need to print following text using echo:

/abc dir/c\

so i tried echo "/abc dir/c\

But it gives me error of Incorrect usage, i am using Hamilton cshell in windows Vista. Can any one please help me.

Thanks in advance
Sarbjit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

x server starting problem

i have installed solaris 10 on PIII i Ghz cpu, whole installation carried out in GUI mode but after installation it is unable to start GUI mode. Error is : "X server can not be started on display 0" screed flickers twice and the CLI login prompt appears (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajays
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove lines in text starting with . (period)

how can i remove lines from a text file starting with . (a period) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Movomito
11 Replies

3. AIX

Service starting Problem

Dear All, When i am start the service netd i am facing the problem 0513-015 The inetd Subsystem could not be started Please check subsystem resources and try again later. please suggest me. It is urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo Variables and Text

I've been trying to get the syntax right so I can echo a $var and then text around it or after it. It either wont display text or $var or one overwrites the other at the beginning of the line. Trying to do something like this. var=1 echo $var"+1.1" #output expected 1+1.1 Its an older... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Session starting problem

When i start a CDE session on Solaris 9 it starts the Gnome desktop for like five minutes with nothing on the screen except the background then it enters the CDE environment and when I enter (new session) Gnome environment it takes 5 to 10 minutes then the session starts so I wounder why it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with suppressed output to file using echo and tee command

Hi, When I run the following command in terminal it works. The string TEST is appended to a file silently. echo TEST | tee -a file.txt &>/dev/null However, when I paste this same line to a file, say shell1.sh, and use bourne shell . I run this file in terminal, ./shell1.sh. However I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahanali
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort text file starting at column X

Hello everyone! As the heading reads, I would like to sort the lines of a text file, starting at a specific column (i.e. skip the first X characters of each line). What I’m actually trying to sort is the md5 sums file of a directory. Every time I copy a new file to that directory, I perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iznogoud
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo command

I am trying to get ascii file using echo command, e.g. - echo "\050" It is correctly working on RHEL 4 but not in RHEL 5. Please help me to fix the issue. ## Working as expected in RHEL 4 $ lsb_release -d Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8) $ echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problem with starting

Dear all Once i try to change some configuration files for internet connections and after that i have problem to start the system. it get to at logo of HP UX and repeat the same starting procedure all the time. What can i do here? I am beginner at HP UX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panoupanou
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change text color from echo command?

I have a bash script that starts and stops a game among other things through in.fifo and out.fifo In game the text comes out gray . Kinda hard to see in game window . I would like to change it to purple and maybe capitalize it. #!/bin/bash #nwservctl.sh cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 222222quick
5 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)