Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names Post 302379989 by rdcwayx on Sunday 13th of December 2009 09:16:17 PM
Old 12-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2reperry
find . -name '*' ! -name '*.exe' -print > filelist.lst
This should be enough.

Code:
find . ! -name '*.exe' -print > filelist.lst

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change All File Names in a Directory

Hi, If I have a directory full of say 100 random files, and I would like to organize them, for example: FILE001, FILE002, FILE003, FILE004, etc. How would I do this from Terminal, instead of manually changing each file? I'm using Mac OS X, if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
8 Replies

2. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I sort the file names in the directory

Hi , I have a list of files in the directory I want to sort based on the file name. But in the middle of filename contains the number based on that I need to sort.Could you suggest me on the same? Example filenames: /user1$ls RS.DEV.ISV.F1.RS.REFDATA.DATA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen.thumati
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file names in the directory?

I am having n files in a directory i want to read all the file names from the script file .It is better if any one provide a sample script. Elaborating the scenario: i am having n number of sql files in a directory i am running all the sql files from a single script. sqlplus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching File Names

I am interested in writing a really simple alias to search for duplicates in file names in a given directory. As an example, the file names follow a convention like: TGIFRIDAY_55566_RESTAURANT TGIFRIDAY_98744_RESTAURANT TGIFRIDAY_67778_RESTAURANT TGIFRIDAY_55566_RESTAURANT These are all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tennesseej
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names with variables

Hello everyone We have a problem about searching and copying files with variables. we have variables like $year $jday $date and we want to search the files whose name contain these variables. we tried *$year*$jday*$date or with ? instead of * thank you everyone!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file names on directory

Dears, Would you please help on following bash script: I want to get the most recent file named alfaYYYYMMDD.gz in one directory: for example: in directory /tmp/ ls -ltr alfa20130715.gz holding.gz alfa20130705.gz sart.txt merge.txt.gz alfa20130802.gz my result shoud be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxsub
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming the file names in a directory

Hi, I have about 60 files in a directory and need to rename those files. For example the file names are i_can_phone_yymmdd.txt (where yymmdd is the date. i.e 170420 etc) i_usa_phone_1_yymmdd.txt i_eng_phone_4_yymmdd.txt The new file names should be phone.txt phone_1.txt phone_4.txt I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)