Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Hampton Univ. help with writing commands in unix Post 302379972 by jestaton on Sunday 13th of December 2009 05:57:43 PM
Old 12-13-2009
Hampton Univ. help with writing commands in unix

I am trying to prompt the user using tput command to read the information ( 5 last names, first names and grades) from the keyboard. Save the data in a file called student.txt. Sort the file by last name and display it on the screen

My pseudocode is as follow:

Pseudocode:
Initialize your variables (counter)

while counter < 6 (Need to read 5 last names, first names and grades)

Prompt the user to enter last name // Use tput to display the prompt
read last name
prompt the user to enter first name // Use tput command

Save the information in a file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to pdf in Unix?

Is there an easy way to print to a pdf file in Unix? Now I'm using lpr command to print to a network printer , but I need to have a pdf version of the file as well! Can someone help me? -Rune (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: runeho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a unix script

OS: Solaris Shell : KSH Please help me in writing a script that captures a error message from a log file ( which updates continiously ) and send an email alert as soon as the systems throws a error message into that log. i.e With out monitoring the log Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pray44u
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing this unix script

I am working on writing scripts. Here is a script I need help with. I have also wrote what I think it is. I would really appreciate any help that I can get. Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help writing this unix script

Create an executable script file called "newname" that will perform the followings: 1. Rename a file upon the user's request. If the file exists, prompt the user for confirmation before renaming the file. The screen should prompt the user for a. "Name of file you want to rename." Use the "\c"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiggles
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell scripts of commands

can anyone help me in writing a shell script to visualize how simple commands work and on what logic. For Eg: ls command how it lists out all the files and directories, need to write a simple script based on the commands source code.:D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Writing simple python setup commands

Building software in most languages is a pain. Remember ant build.xml, maven2 pom files, and multi-level makefiles? Python has a simple solution for building modules, applications, and extensions called distutils. Disutils comes as part of the Python distribution so there are no other packages... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a shell script of commands

Can anyone help me out in visualizing on what is the logic behind simple unix commands. For Eg: ls command lists files and directories, how it displays I need to know the source code for commands like this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

writing commands?

how to write a command line that displays the long listing of just the directories in the current working directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jorogon0099
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing a script to run java commands in sequence in UNIX

Hi, Brand new to these forums, and I hope that someone can help me out. I'm trying to run the following command in UNIX java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SplitSamFile -dt NONE -R reference.fa -I my.bam --outputRoot /my/path/SampleFiles/Sample_ It executes the SplitSamFile from GATK, but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wixaros
3 Replies

10. Open Source

Help with writing Shell Script to automate process using multiple commands

Hello! Need help to write a Linux script that can be run from windows using command/Cygwin/any other way. I am new to scripting, actually i am trying to automate server health check like free disk space, memory along with few services status, if any services is not running then start services ,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sayed Ibrahim
7 Replies
tput(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tput(1)

NAME
tput - Queries the terminal information database SYNOPSIS
tput [-S] [-T term] [capability_name [parameter...]] The tput command uses the terminfo database to make terminal-dependent information available to the shell. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: tput: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Specifies that input be received from standard input. Specifies the terminal type. By default, the terminal type is taken from the environment variable TERM. OPERANDS
The capability_name argument may be one of the following special strings: Displays the clear-screen sequence. Displays the sequences that initialize the user's terminal. [Tru64 UNIX] Displays the terminfo long name for the terminal. Displays the sequences that reset the user's terminal. DESCRIPTION
The capability_name argument indicates the attribute type from a terminfo file. The output of the tput command is a string if the attribute capability_name is of the type string, or an integer if the attribute is of the type integer. If the capability_name is of the type Boolean, the tput command sets the exit value to zero (0) for TRUE, 1 for FALSE, and produces no other output. For more information, see the terminfo(4) reference page. NOTES
If your terminal does not support the requested capability, it is not an error. EXIT STATUS
Equals FALSE Boolean value or the requested string was written successfully. [Tru64 UNIX] Equals TRUE Boolean value. Specifies a usage error. Specifies that information on this terminal is not available. Specifies that the capability_name is invalid. Specifies that an error occurred. EXAMPLES
To echo the clear-screen sequence for the current terminal: # tput clear To display the number of columns for the current terminal: # tput cols To set and unset the highlight-mode sequences for the current terminal: # bold=`tput smso` # unbold=`tput rmso` If you are using the C shell (csh), the argument to set and unset sequences must be enclosed in double quotes: # bold="`tput smso`" # unbold="`tput rmso`" Both of these examples can be followed by a prompt: echo "${bold}Please type in your name:${unbold} To set the exit value to indi- cate if the current terminal is a hardcopy terminal: tput hc If you are using the C shell (csh), the exit value for the preceding example is stored in $status; otherwise, the exit value is stored in $?. To move the cursor to line 2, row 2: tput cup 2 2 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of tput: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Terminal information database Definition files curses library definition file SEE ALSO
Commands: stty(1), tabs(1) Routines: curses(3) Files: terminfo(4) Standards: standards(5) tput(1)