Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract a string up to the first occurence of a substring Post 302379792 by kirkg on Saturday 12th of December 2009 09:23:06 AM
Old 12-12-2009
Extract a string up to the first occurence of a substring

Hi,

I'm a newbie to shell scripting and have searched the forum but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Basically I have a list of filenames like...
123-fileone.txt

I want to be able to extract the prefix up to the first '-'. So I'd end up with 123. I have attempted it using a pretty basic regex ({F%-*}) but that trips up when there is more than 1 occurrence of '-' in the filename, which there can be.

I'm sure it's a simple thing to do...just not for me Smilie

Thanks.

Kirk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command/script to extract a substring from a string

I have a long string "<ID type="Oid">{}</ID>" I need to extract "GigabitEthernet0/1" from the above string. How can it be done? :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string B depending on occurence of string A

Depending upon the occurence of string 'xyz', I want to remove -t from the input file. There is not a fixed length input file. Any suggestions Input file: this is xyz line -t of the data this is line 2 of -t of the data xyz this is line 3 of -t the file this is line xyz of the -t file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk in shell script to extract an index of a substring from a parent string

Hi All, I am new to this shell scripting world. Struck up with a problem, can anyone of you please pull me out of this. Requirement : Need to get the index of a substring from a parent string Eg : index("Sandy","dy") should return 4 or 3. My Approach : I used Awk function index to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepms17
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help... to extract the substring

> tnsping $TWO_TASK | grep HOST Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.12.10.212)(PORT = 1540)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15))) I want to extract like this HOST = 10.12.10.212 PORT = 1540 SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring.

I have a shell script that uses wget to grab a bunch of html from a url. URL_DATA=`wget -qO - "$URL1"` I now have a string $URL_DATA that I need to pull a substring out of..say I had the following in my string <p><a href="/scooby/929011567.html">Dog pictures check them out! -</a><font... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellpower
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract substring of unknown length from string

I have a string: hgLogOutput=" +0000 files: forum/web/hook-test.txt /forum/web/hook-test-2.txt description: test" and I want to extract the file names from it, they will always appear between the files: and the description:. I have worked out that I can do this: "$hgLogOutput" | awk '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klogger
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract last occurence of the field

path = /first/second/third/fourth. i want to extract /first/second/third from path.my program something like this .... path=/first/second/third/fourth noc=`echo $path|tr '/' '\n'|wc -w` var='echo $noc|cut -d'/' -f 1-$noc --> is giving error. why $noc is not working here.any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcp_pavan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Extract substring from a string

i have srtring i.e. "NAME,CLASS,AGE" (length of string is not constant) and from this string i've extract each word delimited by "," (comma). INPUT: "NAME,CLASS,AGE" OUTPUT: NAME CLASS AGE how can i do that? i have tried some string manipulation function like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract until nth occurence

Hi, I couldn't figure how to extract until last occurence of a character. I have the string ./dir1/file1/abc.sh The output should be /dir1/file1 So, the command should display the path until last occurence of "/". Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
3 Replies
CheckDigits::M11_010(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CheckDigits::M11_010(3pm)

NAME
CheckDigits::M11_010 - compute check digits AHV number (CH) SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::CheckDigits; $ahv = CheckDigits('ahv_ch'); if ($ahv->is_valid('123.45.678.113')) { # do something } $cn = $ahv->complete('123.45.678.11'); # $cn = '123.45.678.113' $cd = $ahv->checkdigit('123.45.678.113'); # $cd = '3' $bn = $ahv->basenumber('123.45.678.113'); # $bn = '123.45.678.11'; DESCRIPTION
ALGORITHM 1. Beginning left every digit is weighted with 5,4,3,2,7,6,5,4,3,2. 2. The weighted digits are added. 3. The sum from step 2 is taken modulo 11. 4. The checkdigit is 11 minus the sum from step 3. Is the difference 10, the number won't be taken. If the difference is 11, the checkdigit is 0. METHODS is_valid($number) Returns true only if $number consists solely of numbers and hyphens and the two digits in the middle are valid check digits according to the algorithm given above. Returns false otherwise, complete($number) The check digit for $number is computed and inserted into the middle of $number. Returns the complete number with check digit or '' if $number does not consist solely of digits, hyphens and spaces. basenumber($number) Returns the basenumber of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. checkdigit($number) Returns the check digits of $number if $number has valid check digits. Return '' otherwise. EXPORT None by default. AUTHOR
Mathias Weidner, <mathias@weidner.in-bad-schmiedeberg.de> SEE ALSO
perl, CheckDigits, www.pruefziffernberechnung.de, perl v5.10.0 2008-05-17 CheckDigits::M11_010(3pm)