Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Mail solution for Linux - Postfix Post 302379709 by fpmurphy on Friday 11th of December 2009 03:27:30 PM
Old 12-11-2009
Actually, while Postfix has many configuration files and can be endlessly configurated, getting a basic Postix MTA (Mail Transport Agent) running is quite easy.

Here is the relevant section of the RHEL 5.4 Deployment Guide which discusses how to setup Postix. RHEL 5.4 Deployment Guide Section 24.3.2

As well as an MTA, you need an MAA (Mail Access Agent) like Dovecot which handles protocols like IMAP, IMAPS, POP3 and POP3S, and an MUA (Mail User Agent) like Evolution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Linux mail servers benchmarks (Qmail, Sendmail,Postfix)

New Linux mail servers benchmarks website. Check out http://benchmarks.dmz.ro . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cipango
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring my PostFix Mail Server

Hi folks! I have a Postfix email server running on my MacOs x box. I would like to customize this automatic message to portuguese language: ============ This is the Postfix program at host myserver.com. I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundidor
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command woth Postfix

Hi, maybe someone could help me. This is the thing. I usually use the command "mail" on my scripts to send me info about the linux box, something like: df -k | mail -s "disk usage" lalala@lalala.com. This works fine in all the linuxes that sendmail is installed, but there is one with Postfix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Reg:Postfix Mail Server

We have a redhat enterprise linux 4 server.we have configured postfix as our MTA.squirrel mail as webmail and apache is configured for webserver.We configured outlook as mail client.The mail server is working and our users ae saving a copy of mail in the linux server.Our problem is whenever the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

postfix - reinject mail to postfix from hold queue directory

hi all. Am using smtpd_recipient_restrictions & check_recipient_access in postfix. The hash file looks like this: emailaddress1 HOLD emailaddress2 HOLD The aim is to place email from these recipients in the hold directory,check them then reinject them back in postfix on some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Access denied when sending mail - postfix

i have configured mail server with postfix with dovecot with no encryption: When connecting with Thunderbird imap is working fine. when sending email from another domain to this domain again it is fine. but when i want to send mail frommy domain to another it gives me error and this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending Mail with Postfix

im able to install postfix on my ubuntu server. no issues. but ican't send mail. i dont know what to put for the "relayhost". i've googled this endlessly but i'm clueless. isn't there a general smart host i can use that'll allow me to send? i dont care for receiving mail. i just want to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Postfix Gateway with Exchange Mail With MX back-up

Hello, We have been looking for ways of implementing some redundancy on our postfix gateways in our company. We have 4 Postfix Gateways. mail2.domain.ro 10 mail.domain.ro 20 mail1.domain.ro 30 mail3.domain.ro 40 On nslookup we have like this: domain.ro MX preference = 10,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: panaitescuionel
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need an help in configuring Postfix mail relay server

Hello, We have 2 servers, server A and Server B in same domain. I have already configured the Serevr A to send an email to the internet (outside domain) by opening the port 25 to the internet. Now I need to send an email to the outside domain from Server B using server A. I have opened the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathishbabu89
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

I need help configuring postfix mail server within AWS

I am trying to setup the postfix email server on Redhat Linux 6.5 running as an EC2 instance in AWS. I can do reverse port mapping to open a port from our internal network to the AWS linux server, so we should be able to get to our mail server, even though it is a one way path from our internal ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
1 Replies
MAILWRAPPER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MAILWRAPPER(8)

NAME
mailwrapper -- invoke appropriate MTA software based on configuration file SYNOPSIS
Special. See below. DESCRIPTION
Once upon time, the only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) software easily available was ``sendmail''. This famous MTA was written by Eric Allman and first appeared in 4.1BSD. The legacy of this MTA affected most Mail User Agents (MUAs) such as mail(1); the path and calling conventions expected by ``sendmail'' were compiled in. But times changed. On a modern NetBSD system, the administrator may wish to use one of several available MTAs. It would be difficult to modify all MUA software typically available on a system, so most of the authors of alternative MTAs have written their front end message submission programs that may appear in the place of /usr/sbin/sendmail, but still follow the same calling conventions as ``sendmail''. The ``sendmail'' MTA also typically has aliases named mailq(1) and newaliases(1) linked to it. The program knows to behave differently when its argv[0] is ``mailq'' or ``newaliases'' and behaves appropriately. Typically, replacement MTAs provide similar functionality, either through a program that also switches behavior based on calling name, or through a set of programs that provide similar functionality. Although having replacement programs that plug replace ``sendmail'' helps in installing alternative MTAs, it essentially makes the configura- tion of the system depend on hand installing new programs in /usr. This leads to configuration problems for many administrators, since they may wish to install a new MTA without altering the system provided /usr. (This may be, for example, to avoid having upgrade problems when a new version of the system is installed over the old.) They may also have a shared /usr among several machines, and may wish to avoid placing implicit configuration information in a read-only /usr. The mailwrapper program is designed to replace /usr/sbin/sendmail and to invoke an appropriate MTA based on configuration information placed in /etc/mailer.conf. This permits the administrator to configure which MTA is to be invoked on the system at run time. EXIT STATUS
mailwrapper exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
Configuration for mailwrapper is kept in /etc/mailer.conf. /usr/sbin/sendmail is typically set up as a symlink to mailwrapper which is not usually invoked on its own. DIAGNOSTICS
mailwrapper will print a diagnostic if its configuration file is missing or malformed, or does not contain a mapping for the name under which it was invoked. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailer.conf(5) HISTORY
The mailwrapper program appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD