Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Directory restriction for specific users on Solaris Post 302379688 by nibiru78 on Friday 11th of December 2009 12:54:01 PM
Old 12-11-2009
Directory restriction for specific users on Solaris

Hi all,
i have a question about directory accessing.
Question: therese is a x user which can login system, x user can only access specific directories on the system, even y directory has r-x access right for OTHER, x user will not access the y directory.
this x user must access specific directories on the file system.
is This scenario possible, is there any idea about it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Directory restriction warning

Platform: AIX Shell: KSH Does anyone have a good way of warning users that when they do a 'vi' in a certain directory that they cannot save any changes in that directory. For instance, if I have a production id that has all scripts in /myprod/dir, and if anyone comes to this directory and does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giannicello
1 Replies

2. Solaris

give user permission on specific directory in solaris

dear all does any one give any user write permission using access control list or another way to solve this problem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
1 Replies

3. Solaris

how to restriction directory size in solaris

how to restrict the size of any directory in solaris. is there any command to give specific file size value for a directory? is there any idea? regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
3 Replies

4. Solaris

giving write access to selective users to a certain directory in solaris 10

Hi all, how can i grant write access to a selective users only with write access to a certain filesystem/directory in solaris 10. Please help..i tried "fs setacl"...does not seem to work Please adv..thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
4 Replies

5. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris auditing (file access logging) for specific directory only.

Hello, We need to log the operations that specific user on Solaris 10 (SPARC) is performing on one directory and it's contents. I was able to configure solaris auditing service (auditd) and it works fine. The only problem is that auditd logs huge amount of unneeded information. We need to log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
0 Replies

7. Solaris

How to restrict user to a specific directory in solaris 10

Hi all, I want to create a new user and grant him ONLY transfer files access to a specific directory where he can only upload and read the files. He should be restricted to this activity only. Regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilldn
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Exclude an specific directory for auditing in Solaris 10

Hello, Im glad to become a member of this forums, Im new on solaris and recentrly im introducing to use auditing service in that system. The need is, that I need how to exclude a directory to the audit service not audit it. And, a plus, I need of how to disable auditing the root user in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysh4ck
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris local access restriction other than sshd_config?

Hi All, As part of LDAP implementation we need to restrict users/groups locally on solaris machine: Options tried: sshd_config: as far as my testing it is restricting either user or group, as per the first preference. pam_access.so by default I am unable to find(need some help if this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sridaran
0 Replies
getacl(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getacl(1)

NAME
getacl - list access control lists (ACLs) for files (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, displays the owner, group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, displays the owner, group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directories contain default ACLs. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the file will be displayed. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists, will be displayed. With options not specified, the filename, owner, group, and both the ACL, and the default ACL, if it exists, will be displayed. This command may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It will report the ACL consisting of only the owning user, own- ing group, class and other entries, based on the permission bits. When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line will separate the ACL for each file. Options The command recognizes the following options: Displays the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the specified file. Displays the the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. Operands The command recognizes the following operand: file The file or directory from which retrieves the access control information. ACL Format The format of an ACL is: The first three lines show the filename, the file owner, and the file owning group. Note that when only the option is specified, and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines will be displayed. The entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owner of the file. One or more additional entries indi- cate the permissions that will be granted to the specified users. The entry without a group identifier indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owning group of the file. One or more additional entries indicate the permissions that will be granted to the specified groups. The entry indicates the permissions that will be granted to others. The entries and may only exist for directories, and indicate the default user, group, and other entries that will be added to a file cre- ated within the directory. The uid is a login name, or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system's password file; gid is a group name, or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system's group file; and perm is a three character string composed of the letters representing the separate discretionary access rights: (read), (write), (execute/search), or the placeholder character The perm will be displayed in the following order: If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the placeholder character will appear. The ACL entries will be displayed in the order in which they will be evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The file owner permission bits represent the access that the owning user ACL entry has. The file group class permission bits represent the most access that any additional user entry, additional group entry, or the owning group entry may grant. The file other permission bits represent the access that the other ACL entry has. If a user invokes the command and changes the file group class permission bits, the access granted by the additional ACL entries may be restricted. In order to indicate that the file group class permission bits restrict an ACL entry, will display, after each affected entry, text in the form , where perm will show only the permissions actually granted. EXAMPLES
Given file with an ACL six entries long, the command would print: Given file with an ACL six entries long, after the command was issued, the command would print: Given directory with an ACL containing default entries, the command would print: Given directory the command would print: NOTICES
The output from will be in the correct format for input to the command. If the output from is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. FILES
for user IDs for group IDs SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setacl(1). acl(2), aclsort(3C). getacl(1)