Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a log file of a script? Post 302379103 by penchal_boddu on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 01:21:51 PM
Old 12-09-2009
you can have echo statements and redirect the output of echo statements into a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to create .bat file to store log file

Hi guys. Can someone point me to a resource that explains this? Basically these are websphere logs that need to be stored daily, I'm on sunOS 5.8. Each new file stored could have the current time as its filename. The script could be run on a cron which I can set up. I'm just not sure how to write... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtybrown
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create log file

Accept command line input of a directory keep a .logfile of the contents of the directory inputed if a .logfile does not exist create one for the file that is missing a .logfile and create a message stating .logfile was updated if all .logfiles are there display message stating all files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

permissions to create log file from script

hi all, have a script which i am using to generate a log file. i use "touch out.log" command to create the file and later on i want to echo lines to this file. for some reason it keeps giving me this error when i try and create the file ; touch: out.log cannot create i have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a log file to old, then create a new log file.

Hi all, I have about 15 directories all with exactly the same structure. I have a file in each of them called log.txt. This file sits in /home/ftp/*usernamehere*/ftptransfer/log/ Username here is the only change in each of the 15 directories. I want to create a SIMPLE shell script that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to create a script to parse log files

Hello everybody, I need some help here to create a script to parse a log file. Here is a sample of the log file : 0x42258940 (Debug) Cache SUMMARY attrs now/668 min/668 max/668. 0x42258940 (Debug) RSVD SUMMARY reserved space max requested/128 MB accounted now/0 MB 0x42258940 (Debug)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Create LOG and Validate for this Script

Hi all, This is my Script #!/bin/bash current_date=`date +%d-%m-%Y_%H.%M.%S` Date=`date +%d%m%Y` Lfriday=`date +%d%m%Y -d last-friday` RootPath=/var/domaincount/com mysql zonefile<<EOFMYSQL CREATE TABLE com$Date(domain VARCHAR(255),col2 VARCHAR(255),col3 VARCHAR(255),col4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Log File in ksh itself

Hi, I want to create a log file for a running ksh , and the log file absolute path I want to give in ksh itself. To elaborate this - Say I have a ksh - timer.ksh and I want to create a log timer_log.log when I run, to trace this. I am aware of the fact that this can be done using redirection... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a log file that simply shows the name of a file and what directory it was moved to.

Newbie...Thank you for your help. I am creating my first script that simply generates subdirectories to organize video, music, and text files within those subdirectories from my current working directory. PROBLEM: I am trying to write a log file that contains, for each file, the original file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create archive and nil the content of log file using script

Plese help I need a urgent requirement. Ex: test.log requirement : using shell script I need to archive the log file and nil and the content of (test.log) file to 0 kb and then in the archive folder log files are name to test.tar test1.tar test2.tar EX: /home/abc/ test.log ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johney1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - create log file

I need to create shell script (check system ) to display the output to the console and write these output to a log file at the same time. My shell script is like that Main() { .... .... } MainIt takes about 30s to display all the output to the console. Then I put this command to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
4 Replies
PG_QUERY(3)															       PG_QUERY(3)

pg_query - Execute a query

SYNOPSIS
resource pg_query ([resource $connection], string $query) DESCRIPTION
pg_query(3) executes the $query on the specified database $connection. pg_query_params(3) should be preferred in most cases. If an error occurs, and FALSE is returned, details of the error can be retrieved using the pg_last_error(3) function if the connection is valid. Note Although $connection can be omitted, it is not recommended, since it can be the cause of hard to find bugs in scripts. Note This function used to be called pg_exec(3). pg_exec(3) is still available for compatibility reasons, but users are encouraged to use the newer name. PARAMETERS
o $connection - PostgreSQL database connection resource. When $connection is not present, the default connection is used. The default connection is the last connection made by pg_connect(3) or pg_pconnect(3). o $query - The SQL statement or statements to be executed. When multiple statements are passed to the function, they are automatically exe- cuted as one transaction, unless there are explicit BEGIN/COMMIT commands included in the query string. However, using multiple transactions in one function call is not recommended. Warning String interpolation of user-supplied data is extremely dangerous and is likely to lead to SQL injection vulnerabilities. In most cases pg_query_params(3) should be preferred, passing user-supplied values as parameters rather than substituting them into the query string. Any user-supplied data substituted directly into a query string should be properly escaped. RETURN VALUES
A query result resource on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_query(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT author, email FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } while ($row = pg_fetch_row($result)) { echo "Author: $row[0] E-mail: $row[1]"; echo "<br /> "; } ?> Example #2 Using pg_query(3) with multiple statements <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); // these statements will be executed as one transaction $query = "UPDATE authors SET author=UPPER(author) WHERE id=1;"; $query .= "UPDATE authors SET author=LOWER(author) WHERE id=2;"; $query .= "UPDATE authors SET author=NULL WHERE id=3;"; pg_query($conn, $query); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_connect(3), pg_pconnect(3), pg_fetch_array(3), pg_fetch_object(3), pg_num_rows(3), pg_affected_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_QUERY(3)