Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Script running on remote machine - How ?? Post 302379024 by coolbhai on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 09:52:25 AM
Old 12-09-2009
Question Script running on remote machine - How ??

Hi All,

This was an interview question
" There is a clean-up shell-script in one UNIX machine and it is connected to 100 other UNIX machines.
Howe can we run the script on all the 100 machines without ftping/copying the script to target machines ?

I was unable to answer, please answer if you know.

Thanks in advance
Coolbhai
coolbhai

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

leave a process running in a remote machine

Hi, I would like to run a process in my gentoo machine from a consolte (putty) in Windows and would like that this process keep on going when I close the console in Windows (i.e closing this session). The process should take a long time and I do not want to leave the Windows machine running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbasil
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a script on remote machine

hi unix guru's i am new to unix shell programming. i found a trouble in executing a script(bali.ksh) which is available on serverA with username xyza, this script contains sqlplus command to retrive the data from the database available on other serverC. Now i need to run the above script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
4 Replies

3. Solaris

To invoke a script on a remote machine

Hi, I am trying the following- 1. ftp a file from machine1 to machine2. 2. Once the ftp is done, from machine1 invoke a shell script on machine2. Could anyone please help me on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running script on remote machine

if i have a script in my system which i need to run on remote system using ssh, how shall i do it? One easy way to to first scp it to remote machine and then run it on remote machine using ssh. Is there any one step way to do it. Preferably one in which i should give password only once (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running script in background on remote machine

Hi there I have a script which is running a remote command on hundreds of boxes, it takes around 5 minutes to return an output from this command and because i am running this all from a central box, it goes off to each box in my for loop sequentially meaning that my script will wait for output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check web server running on local and on remote machine

Hi , How to check whether web server is running from remote machine How to check whether web server is running on web server itself Can any one help me soon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needing guidance, running xargs on remote machine

I am trying to run the follow command. I am running this from a korn shell script. rsh foobar ps -fu dram | grep sshd: | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -I xx kill xx I get the PID back excluding the xargs part but after adding on the xargs part it fails to locate the PID and is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running remote system shell script and c binary file from windows machine using java

Hi, I have an shell script program in a remote linux machine which will do some specific monitoring functionality. Also, have some C executables in that machine. From a windows machine, I want to run the shell script program (If possible using java). I tried with SSH for this. but, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ram.sj
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Quit a shell script thats running on a remote machine

I'm in a situation where I am executing a shell script(Bash) on another machine remotely using ssh, and for various reasons sometimes need to quit it and restart it. The shell script being run does many different things, so its hard to know what process to kill on the remote machine, and even if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDrizzle
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep a script on remote machine running (nohup?)

Hi, I'm using expect to ssh into remote machine (i know its not the best practice), and run script "script.sh". This "script.sh" checks whether an other process (some another script) is running and if not, it runs it as some other user. #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/expect << EOD set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oseri
5 Replies
RRDp(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 RRDp(3pm)

NAME
RRDp - Attach RRDtool from within a perl script via a set of pipes; SYNOPSIS
use RRDp RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline $answer = RRD::read $status = RRD::end $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real, $RRDp::error_mode, $RRDp::error DESCRIPTION
With this module you can safely communicate with the RRDtool. After every RRDp::cmd you have to issue an RRDp::read command to get RRDtools answer to your command. The answer is returned as a pointer, in order to speed things up. If the last command did not return any data, RRDp::read will return an undefined variable. If you import the PERFORMANCE variables into your namespace, you can access RRDtool's internal performance measurements. use RRDp Load the RRDp::pipe module. RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable start RRDtool. The argument must be the path to the RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline pass commands on to RRDtool. Check the RRDtool documentation for more info on the RRDtool commands. Note: Due to design limitations, RRDp::cmd does not support the "graph -" command - use "graphv -" instead. $answer = RRDp::read read RRDtool's response to your command. Note that the $answer variable will only contain a pointer to the returned data. The reason for this is, that RRDtool can potentially return quite excessive amounts of data and we don't want to copy this around in memory. So when you want to access the contents of $answer you have to use $$answer which dereferences the variable. $status = RRDp::end terminates RRDtool and returns RRDtool's status ... $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real these variables will contain totals of the user time, system time and real time as seen by RRDtool. User time is the time RRDtool is running, System time is the time spend in system calls and real time is the total time RRDtool has been running. The difference between user + system and real is the time spent waiting for things like the hard disk and new input from the Perl script. $RRDp::error_mode and $RRDp::error If you set the variable $RRDp::error_mode to the value 'catch' before you run RRDp::read a potential ERROR message will not cause the program to abort but will be returned in this variable. If no error occurs the variable will be empty. $RRDp::error_mode = 'catch'; RRDp::cmd qw(info file.rrd); print $RRDp::error if $RRDp::error; EXAMPLE
use RRDp; RRDp::start "/usr/local/bin/rrdtool"; RRDp::cmd qw(create demo.rrd --step 100 DS:in:GAUGE:100:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10); $answer = RRDp::read; print $$answer; ($usertime,$systemtime,$realtime) = ($RRDp::user,$RRDp::sys,$RRDp::real); SEE ALSO
For more information on how to use RRDtool, check the manpages. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> perl v5.14.2 2012-01-24 RRDp(3pm)