Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications John the Ripper application question Post 302378979 by dday on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 08:54:45 AM
Old 12-09-2009
I have never used this application, but just reading the docs tells me that the answer is no. This is a password cracker that uses brute force to decrypt a password from a file, eg the passwd file in unix. It doesn't break or recover a password used to encrypt a file itself.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo: application install question

I need to install an application on my Sun station and need root privleges to do so. I was given sudo privileges and was told to issue the following command. bash-2.03$ sudo init 0 I've read the man pages for init and understand the purpose of that command. My questions are: 1. From the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

John the Ripper / CRACK

Has anyone used JTR or CRACK to check if you have any weak passwords on your Red Hat Servers? If so can I ask some basic questions? Or would this question be better pitched in another area of the Forum, if so please suggest where, if anyone is willing to help me in this forum please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevej123
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

John the ripper

Hi evryone, I have problem the john program. It works correctly but I can not make unshadow command because I have removed the file /usr/bin/john by mistake # cd ../run # ./john /root/shadow Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (FreeBSD MD5 ) letmein (root) letmein ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bander2009
5 Replies
PASSWD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd -- modify a user's password SYNOPSIS
passwd [user] passwd [-d files | -l] [user] passwd [-d nis | -y] [user] passwd [-d krb5 | -k] [principal] DESCRIPTION
passwd changes the user's password. First, the user is prompted for their current password. If the current password is correctly typed, a new password is requested. The new password must be entered twice to avoid typing errors. The new password should be at least six characters long and not purely alphabetic. Its total length must be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (cur- rently 128 characters). Numbers, upper case letters and meta characters are encouraged. All options may not be available on all systems. -d database This option specifies the password database that should be updated. The following databases are supported: files This specifies that the password change should be applied to the local password file. When changing only the local password, passwd uses pwd_mkdb(8) to update the password databases. nis This specifies that the password change should be applied to the NIS password database. The rpc.yppasswdd(8) daemon should be running on the master NIS server. krb5 This specifies that the user's Kerberos 5 password should be changed. The host must be configured to use Kerberos. See krb5.conf(5). -l This is the equivalent of -d files. -y This is the equivalent of -d nis. -k This is the equivalent of -d krb5. If a password database is not specified, passwd will change the password database as determined by the Pluggable Authentication Module (PAM) library. The type of cipher used to encrypt the password depends on the configuration in passwd.conf(5). It can be different for local and NIS pass- words. FILES
/etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file /etc/passwd.XXXXXX Temporary copy of the password file SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), pwhash(1), passwd(5), passwd.conf(5), pam(8), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX password security. HISTORY
A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 25, 2005 BSD