Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Specified substitution not valid for Post 302378910 by frans on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 05:07:30 AM
Old 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaasjan
(...)
cd $DIR$DATUM*$EXT >/dev/null # this line gives the error
[/CODE]
Of course : You can't expand paths in cd.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a valid statement?

I need an if statement that recognizes whether files fitting a certain pattern exist in the current directory. Is this syntax valid: if ; then ... fi assuming that zero="0" and star="*". Is there a better way to write it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Are my computer valid for Solaris

hello It's my first post in your forum I have a Pentium 4 processor and Motherboard Gigabyte with Intel chipset and 80 GB hard disk .My question is : Are my computer valid for Solaris os ??? Are the Solaris is free like Fedora and Suse ?? (sorry for my bad English because I'm not English man) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: engshaheen
3 Replies

3. Programming

valid code?

hey , everyone. I have a few questions about pieces of code and was wondering if someone could tell me what exactly they did or if they are even valid. bool1 && bool2 || bool3 <---in what order do these get processed? if (! isdigit(c)) <---What does this do? i = j % 3; <---what does this do?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

': not a valid identifier

I am trying to write a bash script. I am able to do simple things like pass arguments, assign variables and echo the results. However, when I try to declare and array or anything a little more complicated I get ': not a valid identifier Here is my code so far: #!/bin/bash echo start t... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: script123
7 Replies

5. Programming

is it valid output ?

#include <iostream> #include<stdio.h> using namespace std; class a { public: int xx; a() { cout << "in CONS a \n"; } ~a() { cout << "in DES a \n"; } }; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Valid Name

Could someone help me by midnight tonight!!! Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Insert a reference to the Bourne shell as the command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cody007
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for valid DC's?

Ok so this is sort of a unix question. I am frequently logging into customers boxes and our product integrates with Active directory. I deal with a great deal of people who have no business being admins but are and they don't know squat about their network or their DC's. So a recurring problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for valid password

I need to check if an account has a valid password. Would something like this work? read ACCNAME if grep -q "^$ACCNAME:\$6:" /etc/shadow; thenI noticed every entry in my shadow file that has a password starts with $6 ... it works for my current setup, but would it always work? I can't test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for valid hostnames

Hello, I am trying to develop a script to check for valid hostnames. Below are the prerequisites for a valid hostname which I got from wiki : Hostnames are composed of series of labels concatenated with dots, as are all domain names. For example, "en.wikipedia.org" is a hostname. Each label... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
8 Replies
Tcl_SubstObj(3) 					      Tcl Library Procedures						   Tcl_SubstObj(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_SubstObj - perform substitutions on Tcl objects SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_Obj * Tcl_SubstObj(interp, objPtr, flags) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which to execute Tcl scripts and lookup variables. If an error occurs, the interpreter's result is modified to hold an error message. Tcl_Obj *objPtr (in) A Tcl object containing the string to perform substitutions on. int flags (in) ORed combination of flag bits that specify which substitutions to perform. The flags TCL_SUBST_COM- MANDS, TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES and TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES are currently supported, and TCL_SUBST_ALL is pro- vided as a convenience for the common case where all substitutions are desired. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Tcl_SubstObj function is used to perform substitutions on strings in the fashion of the subst command. It gets the value of the string contained in objPtr and scans it, copying characters and performing the chosen substitutions as it goes to an output object which is returned as the result of the function. In the event of an error occurring during the execution of a command or variable substitution, the function returns NULL and an error message is left in interp's result. Three kinds of substitutions are supported. When the TCL_SUBST_BACKSLASHES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like backslash substi- tutions for Tcl commands are replaced by their corresponding character. When the TCL_SUBST_VARIABLES bit is set in flags, sequences that look like variable substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the con- tents of the named variable. When the TCL_SUBST_COMMANDS bit is set in flags, sequences that look like command substitutions for Tcl commands are replaced by the result of evaluating that script. Where an uncaught "continue exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, an empty string is substituted for the command. Where an uncaught "break exception" occurs during the evaluation of a command substitution, the result of the whole substitution on objPtr will be truncated at the point immediately before the start of the command substitution, and no characters will be added to the result or substitutions performed after that point. SEE ALSO
subst(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 8.4 Tcl_SubstObj(3)