Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting number of lines of nth occurrency Post 302378864 by f_o_555 on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 03:44:29 AM
Old 12-09-2009
Thanks,
that works.
what if xxx and 2 are variables and I want to assign the value to a variable?

I tried
Code:
STRING=xxx
ID=2

NUMBER=`awk '/$STRING/ && (++x==$ID){ print NR}' file`
echo $NUMBER

but it doesn't work

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grepping nth line number

How do you grep every nth line number from a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabs1985
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to output all lines following Nth occurrence of string

Greetings experts. Searched the forums (perhaps not hard enough?) - Am searching for a method to capture all output from a log file following the nth occurrence of a known string. Background: Using bash, I want to monitor my Oracle DB alert log file. The script will count the total # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjtravis
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines after nth LINE from an output

Hi all, Here is my problem for which i am breaking my head for past three days.. I have parted command output as follows.. Model: ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0 (scsi) Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Number Start End Size Type ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using paste command every nth number of file

Hi, I want to use paste command in a loop that does it every 6 files. My sample files are like the ones below. 20010101.txt 20010106.txt 20010111.txt 20010116.txt 20010121.txt 20010126.txt 20010131.txt 20010205.txt 20010210.txt 20010215.txt 20010220.txt 20010225.txt 20010302.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pairing the nth elements on multiple lines iteratively

Hello, I'm trying to create a word translation section of a book. Each entry in the word list will come from a set of linguistically analyzed texts. Each sentence in the text has the following format. The first element in each line is the "name" of the line (i.e. "A","B","C","D"). The... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Lyon
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the lines with nth column non-null

Hi, I have a huge list of archives (.gz). Each archive is about 40MB. A file is generated every minute so if I want to analyze the data for 1 hour I get already 60 files for example. These are text files, ';' separated, each line having about 300 fields (columns). What I need to do is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nenad
11 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)