Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Development Environment Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Development Environment Help Post 302378660 by tuck on Tuesday 8th of December 2009 12:00:27 PM
Old 12-08-2009
Development Environment Help

Hello all,

First time here and with linux/*nix like OS's.

What I'm trying to do is have a development environment in unix with GCC, GDB, and some editor like Vim/emacs/nano/etc....

I have Openbsd loaded on a virtual machine in VMware workstation. Boots fine and all seems good. I have the current package release for GCC, GDB, VIM, EMACS, and NANO. After a reboot, I decide to test things by writing a simple 'Hello, World" program, compile it and try to execute it by either a.out or whatever name I gave it using gcc -o hello1 hello1.c. The error I recieve is command not found or a.out/hello1 not found. What else do I need to execute a C program in some *nix like system?

I have the following installed:
autoconf, automake, bash, emaxs, g++, gcc, gdbm, glib, glib2, gmake, libtool, m4, metauto, nano, vim, zsh, and all required dependencies.

All were added by pkg_add -r command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tuck

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Environment

I am trying to run a series of perl scripts at different times using crontab under solaris. The scripts that i am using require some specific environment variables to be specified for database functionality, but i would also like it that i can specify a few global variables for output locations. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smitty McSmith
8 Replies

2. AIX

chroot environment

Hi!! I'm currently running AIX 4.3.3 and i'm trying to setup a chroot environment for the users who use SFTP, i spend a lot time SFTW but i can't make it work. I got openssh3.9p1 whit the chroot patch. Any help is greatly appreciated. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samurai79
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reset environment - ".. /etc/.environment dev_env"

I have been resently working on some ksh script. One of the line in the file writes: .. /etc/.environment dev_env I can not understand what this mean, all I know is .environment is unix system environment file. Is ".." a command? If some one can give me some clue where can I find information... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzwu3591
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Environment help please

Hello all, I am a bit confused not only because I am new to Solaris but because when I run "env" I get a list of variables that are not in the user .profile. Where else can the account be getting environment variables from? Is there a .profile that applies to all accounts? Thank you in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
4 Replies

5. Web Development

Setting up Development and Live web site environment

Hi, I am fairly new to unix so please go easy on me.. I have a VPS on which I would like to setup a development and live web site environment and can't seem to work out what is the best technique for doing so. I would like to be able to mirror the live site and have a "check out" and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciantrius
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up your environment

Hi I am new to Solaris and was just given my id and need to setup my environment, what do i need to do to run certain commands without putting in the complete path. How do I create my .profile, I do not see under my login? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa_ken
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

local dynamic http development environment

I have scouted around the last few years and always see that for a individual person to create a dynamic development environment in Mac takes a PHD or something close. Or there are a lot of miss leading info. I would rather work with raw code compared to a wysiwyg editor of any flavor. At this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies
cr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)