Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup files Post 302378646 by buddhist on Tuesday 8th of December 2009 11:21:45 AM
Old 12-08-2009
Backup files

Greetings.
I've got a little bit of problem with writing a script.
I'd like to write a script that creates backup files (of your computer) once a week, and on the other days of the week it just updates it.
Thanks in advance i hope you can help:
buddhist

p.s.: this would help a lot, because i hate saving files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SUM of Backup Files

Hello Everyone, I'm struggiling with backup issues and need to sum up sizes of backup files monthly and add the result to the next month's sum recursively. For this i have a well working script that i modified as i showed below and this part gives the sum of the file sizes under working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove old backup files

# find /home/shantanu -name 'my_stops*' | xargs ls -lt | head -2 The command mentioned above will list the latest 2 files having my_stops in it's name. I want to keep these 2 files. But I want to delete all other files starting with "my_stops" from the current directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Backup Files Failed

I am having difficulty in doing ontape -s -L 0. At first it was giving a message Archive failed - function to write to tape failed code -l errno 5. After about 24 hours it says "could not write archive tape. What do I do? Can anyone please advise on what the problem is and what I can do? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gillonye
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Help with solaris files backup

Hello, I'm Antony, new solaris user. I need to back-up an old solaris disk. Currently I have installed the Open Solaris operating system on my computer and a USB device I tried to read data on a hard drive with an older version of Solaris, when i try to open the device the operating system tells... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: legoinario_67
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to backup files.

Hi guys , I m writing a script which will backup a particular folder and its content to a different location. this script needs to be run every weekend. But my problem is how would i apply logic such that the previous backup folder is only deleted if and only if the current backup is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup Files

Hi, Using the shell script, how can I backup the files. /etc/password, /etc/group , /etc/shadow and more and needs a backup like /etc/password.12Mar12.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup files recusive

Hi, I have folder , backup , with sub-folders Jan , Fev , Mar , witch also have sub-folders How can i recursivelly compress this files , in each folder grouped by month? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
2 Replies

9. AIX

How to backup a directory (sub-directories/files) files from one server on to other ?

Hello, Server A: /directory1/ Server B: /Backups/ i wanted to backup contents of /directory1 from "server A" on to "Server B" every 1 hour. If there is any change in (only new/differences) contents on serverA (directory1/) supposed to be backeup on next run. I did used rsync command to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup files cleanup

Hello, I've been able to keep a certain number of backup files with the find -mtime command, but is there a way to add the last 4 Sunday's or any other day? I checked the man page and forums, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramsez
8 Replies
RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)					      General Commands Manual						RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)

NAME
rdiff-backup-fs - Filesystem for accessing rdiff-backup archives. SYNOPSIS
rdiff-backup-fs <mount_point> <repository> [repositories ...] [-option ...] DESCRIPTION
rdiff-backup-fs is a filesystem in userspace that reads rdiff-backup archives and provides convenient access. OPTIONS
--debug <0-4> Run rdiff-backup-fs in foreground with given verbosity of debug messages. -f, --full Store information about all revisions in memory. CAUTION: this may take a lot of memory if your archive contains many revisions. -l, --last Displays files from the most recent increment as directories, each holding every version of the file. CAUTION: this stores informa- tion about all revisions in memory and therefore may take a lot of memory if archive contains many revisions. -c <n>, --caching <n> How many files retrieved from the rdiff-backup archive may be cached by filesystem. By default rdiff-backup-fs will cache up to 10 files. If this switch is set to 0, no caching will be done. -r <n>, --revisions <n> How many revisions should be stored in memory for on demand revision retrieval. By default rdiff-backup-fs will store up to 10 revi- sions in memory. -d, --directory <path> Set directory for directory with temporary files. By default rdiff-backup-fs uses /tmp. -v, --version Print version of rdiff-backup-fs and exit. SEE ALSO
rdiff-backup(1) COPYRIGHT
rdiff-backup-fs is Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Filip Gruszczyski. rdiff-backup-fs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. AUTHORS
Filip Gruszczyski <gruszczy@gmail.com> RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)