Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed Post 302378473 by zaxxon on Tuesday 8th of December 2009 02:31:29 AM
Old 12-08-2009
Code:
awk '
        {
                pat1=(substr($0,17,2))
                sub(pat1,"")
                pat2=substr($0,0,NR-1)
                sub(pat2,"")
                print pat2 pat1 $0
        }
' infile

Output:
Code:
01abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
a02bcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ab03cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abc04defghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcd05efghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED or AWK: Appending a line Identifier that changes with paragraph?

Have another question that has been eluding me all day. I have data file I'm trying to reformat so that each line is appended with an ID code, but the ID code needs to update as it searches through the file. I.e. ----Begin Original Datafile----- Condition = XXX Header Line 1 Header... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selkirk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit entire column from a fixed-width file using awk or sed

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 12 Completed 08 0830 12 In Progress 09 0829 11 For F U 07 0828 Considering the file above, how could i replace the third column the most efficient way? The actual file size is almost 1G. I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk;sed appending line to previous line....

I know this has been asked before but I just can't parse the syntax as explained. I have a set of files that has user information spread out over two lines that I wish to merge into one: User1NameLast User1NameFirst User1Address E-Mail:User1email User2NameLast User2NameFirst User2Address... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: walkerwheeler
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Width Join & Pad Sed/Awk Help

I was wondering someone might be able to push me in the right direction, I am writing a script to modify fixed-width spool files, As you can see below the original spool file broke a single line into two for printability sake. I have had been able do the joins using sed, the thing I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cho Nagurai
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: creating a fixed-width single file from 2 different files

I have to create a single file from three files, Please see below for samples: day.txt 20090101 20090102 item.txt 123456789101 12345678910209 1234567891 str.txt 1 12 123 output.txt 20090101123456789101 1 0 2009010112345678910209 12 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line character and add space to convert into fixed width file

I have a file with different record length. The file as to be converted into fixed length by appending spaces at the end of record. The length should be calculated based on the record with maximum length in the file. If the length is less than the max length, the spaces should be appended... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column details from fixed width file using awk command

hi, i have a fixed width file with multiple columns and need to print data using awk command. i use: awk -F "|" '($5 == BH) {print $1,$2,$3}' <non_AIM target>.txt for a delimiter file. but now i have a fixed width file like below: 7518 8269511BH 20141224951050N8262 11148 8269511BH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace using awk on fixed width file.

All, I used to use following command to replace specific location in a fixed width file. Recently looks like my command stopped working as intended. We are on AIX unix. awk 'function repl(s,f,t,v) { return substr(s,1,f-1) sprintf("%-*s", t-f+1, v) substr(s,t+1) } NR<=10 {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies
Bio::Tools::SeqPattern(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Bio::Tools::SeqPattern(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Tools::SeqPattern - represent a sequence pattern or motif SYNOPSIS
use Bio::Tools::SeqPattern; my $pat1 = 'T[GA]AA...TAAT'; my $pattern1 = Bio::Tools::SeqPattern->new(-SEQ =>$pat1, -TYPE =>'Dna'); my $pat2 = '[VILM]R(GXX){3,2}...[^PG]'; my $pattern2 = Bio::Tools::SeqPattern->new(-SEQ =>$pat2, -TYPE =>'Amino'); DESCRIPTION
Bio::Tools::SeqPattern module encapsulates generic data and methods for manipulating regular expressions describing nucleic or amino acid sequence patterns (a.k.a, "motifs"). Bio::Tools::SeqPattern is a concrete class that inherits from Bio::Seq. This class grew out of a need to have a standard module for doing routine tasks with sequence patterns such as: -- Forming a reverse-complement version of a nucleotide sequence pattern -- Expanding patterns containing ambiguity codes -- Checking for invalid regexp characters -- Untainting yet preserving special characters in the pattern Other features to look for in the future: -- Full pattern syntax checking -- Conversion between expanded and condensed forms of the pattern MOTIVATIONS
A key motivation for Bio::Tools::SeqPattern is to have a way to generate a reverse complement of a nucleotide sequence pattern. This makes possible simultaneous pattern matching on both sense and anti-sense strands of a query sequence. In principle, one could do such a search more inefficiently by testing against both sense and anti-sense versions of a sequence. It is entirely equivalent to test a regexp containing both sense and anti-sense versions of the *pattern* against one copy of the sequence. The latter approach is much more efficient since: 1) You need only one copy of the sequence. 2) Only one regexp is executed. 3) Regexp patterns are typically much smaller than sequences. Patterns can be quite complex and it is often difficult to generate the reverse complement pattern. The Bioperl SeqPattern.pm addresses this problem, providing a convenient set of tools for working with biological sequence regular expressions. Not all patterns have been tested. If you discover a pattern that is not handled properly by Bio::Tools::SeqPattern.pm, please send me some email (sac@bioperl.org). Thanks. OTHER FEATURES
Extended Alphabet Support This module supports the same set of ambiguity codes for nucleotide sequences as supported by Bio::Seq. These ambiguity codes define the behavior or the expand method. ------------------------------------------ Symbol Meaning Nucleic Acid ------------------------------------------ A A (A)denine C C (C)ytosine G G (G)uanine T T (T)hymine U U (U)racil M A or C a(M)ino group R A or G pu(R)ine W A or T (W)eak bond S C or G (S)trong bond Y C or T p(Y)rimidine K G or T (K)eto group V A or C or G H A or C or T D A or G or T B C or G or T X G or A or T or C N G or A or T or C . G or A or T or C ------------------------------------------ Symbol Meaning ------------------------------------------ A Alanine C Cysteine D Aspartic Acid E Glutamic Acid F Phenylalanine G Glycine H Histidine I Isoleucine K Lysine L Leucine M Methionine N Asparagine P Proline Q Glutamine R Arginine S Serine T Threonine V Valine W Tryptophan Y Tyrosine B Aspartic Acid, Asparagine Z Glutamic Acid, Glutamine X Any amino acid . Any amino acid Multiple Format Support Ultimately, this module should be able to build SeqPattern.pm objects using a variety of pattern formats such as ProSite, Blocks, Prints, GCG, etc. Currently, this module only supports patterns using a grep-like syntax. USAGE
A simple demo script called seq_pattern.pl is included in the examples/ directory of the central Bioperl distribution. SEE ALSO
Bio::Seq - Lightweight sequence object. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR
Steve Chervitz, sac-at-bioperl.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-8 Steve Chervitz. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. new Title : new Usage : my $seqpat = Bio::Tools::SeqPattern->new(); Purpose : Verifies that the type is correct for superclass (Bio::Seq.pm) : and calls superclass constructor last. Returns : n/a Argument : Parameters passed to new() Throws : Exception if the pattern string (seq) is empty. Comments : The process of creating a new SeqPattern.pm object : ensures that the pattern string is untained. See Also : Bio::Root::Root::new, Bio::Seq::_initialize alphabet_ok Title : alphabet_ok Usage : $mypat->alphabet_ok; Purpose : Checks for invalid regexp characters. : Overrides Bio::Seq::alphabet_ok() to allow : additional regexp characters ,.*()[]<>{}^$ : in addition to the standard genetic alphabet. : Also untaints the pattern and sets the sequence : object's sequence to the untained string. Returns : Boolean (1 | 0) Argument : n/a Throws : Exception if the pattern contains invalid characters. Comments : Does not call the superclass method. : Actually permits any alphanumeric, not just the : standard genetic alphabet. expand Title : expand Usage : $seqpat_object->expand(); Purpose : Expands the sequence pattern using special ambiguity codes. Example : $pat = $seq_pat->expand(); Returns : String containing fully expanded sequence pattern Argument : n/a Throws : Exception if sequence type is not recognized : (i.e., is not one of [DR]NA, Amino) See Also : "Extended Alphabet Support", _expand_pep(), _expand_nuc() _expand_pep Title : _expand_pep Usage : n/a; automatically called by expand() Purpose : Expands peptide patterns Returns : String (the expanded pattern) Argument : String (the unexpanded pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : expand(), _expand_nuc() _expand_nuc Title : _expand_nuc Purpose : Expands nucleotide patterns Returns : String (the expanded pattern) Argument : String (the unexpanded pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : expand(), _expand_pep() revcom Title : revcom Usage : revcom([1]); Purpose : Forms a pattern capable of recognizing the reverse complement : version of a nucleotide sequence pattern. Example : $pattern_object->revcom(); : $pattern_object->revcom(1); ## returns expanded rev complement pattern. Returns : Object reference for a new Bio::Tools::SeqPattern containing : the revcom of the current pattern as its sequence. Argument : (1) boolean (optional) (default= false) : true : expand the pattern before rev-complementing. : false: don't expand pattern before or after rev-complementing. Throws : Exception if called for amino acid sequence pattern. Comments : This method permits the simultaneous searching of both : sense and anti-sense versions of a nucleotide pattern : by means of a grep-type of functionality in which any : number of patterns may be or-ed into the recognition : pattern. : Overrides Bio::Seq::revcom() and calls it first thing. : The order of _fixpat() calls is critical. See Also : Bio::Seq::revcom, "_fixpat_1", "_fixpat_2", "_fixpat_3", "_fixpat_4", "_fixpat_5" backtranslate Title : backtranslate Usage : backtranslate(); Purpose : Produce a degenerate oligonucleotide whose translation would produce : the original protein motif. Example : $pattern_object->backtranslate(); Returns : Object reference for a new Bio::Tools::SeqPattern containing : the reverse translation of the current pattern as its sequence. Throws : Exception if called for nucleotide sequence pattern. _fixpat_1 Title : _fixpat_1 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all {7,5} --> {5,7} (Part I) : and [T^] --> [^T] (Part II) : and *N --> N* (Part III) Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() _fixpat_2 Title : _fixpat_2 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all {5,7}Y ---> Y{5,7} : and {10,}. ---> .{10,} Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded, partially reversed pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() _fixpat_3 Title : _fixpat_3 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all {5,7}(XXX) ---> (XXX){5,7} Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded, partially reversed pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() _fixpat_4 Title : _fixpat_4 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all {5,7}[XXX] ---> [XXX]{5,7} Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded, partially reversed pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() _fixpat_5 Title : _fixpat_5 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all *[XXX] ---> [XXX]* : and *(XXX) ---> (XXX)* Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded, partially reversed pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() _fixpat_6 Title : _fixpat_6 Usage : n/a; called automatically by revcom() Purpose : Utility method for revcom() : Converts all ?Y{5,7} ---> Y{5,7}? : and ?(XXX){5,7} ---> (XXX){5,7}? : and ?[XYZ]{5,7} ---> [XYZ]{5,7}? Returns : String (the new, partially reversed pattern) Argument : String (the expanded, partially reversed pattern) Throws : n/a See Also : revcom() str Title : str Usage : $obj->str($newval) Function: Returns : value of str Args : newvalue (optional) type Title : type Usage : $obj->type($newval) Function: Returns : value of type Args : newvalue (optional) FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY
Data Members Information about the various data members of this module is provided for those wishing to modify or understand the code. Two things to bear in mind: 1 Do NOT rely on these in any code outside of this module. All data members are prefixed with an underscore to signify that they are private. Always use accessor methods. If the accessor doesn't exist or is inadequate, create or modify an accessor (and let me know, too!). 2 This documentation may be incomplete and out of date. It is easy for this documentation to become obsolete as this module is still evolving. Always double check this info and search for members not described here. An instance of Bio::Tools::RestrictionEnzyme.pm is a blessed reference to a hash containing all or some of the following fields: FIELD VALUE ------------------------------------------------------------------------ _rev : The corrected reverse complement of the fully expanded pattern. INHERITED DATA MEMBERS: _seq : (From Bio::Seq.pm) The original, unexpanded input sequence after untainting. _type : (From Bio::Seq.pm) 'Dna' or 'Amino' perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Tools::SeqPattern(3pm)