Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove special characters from text file Post 302378340 by kkb on Monday 7th of December 2009 03:33:37 PM
Old 12-07-2009
Remove special characters from text file

Hi All,

i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file.

I am using the following code.

Code:
while read LINE
do
echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}[]'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" 
done < trial.txt > output.txt

Problem

1.The output file is not tab delimited. space is reduced. how do i correct it.
2.when I include ( -, _) in the first pattern it gives me error/weird results ( can you explain why.( let me know if you need output)

Thanks you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters)

I need to add "new lines" of text with special characters, to specific lines in the file. There are 3 modifications needed. Been testing 2 here without success. #!/usr/bin/perl use FileHandle; $file=FileHandle->new; $FILENAME="/opt/etc/usr/file.txt"; $file->open ("<$FILENAME") or die... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: A4ron4perl
13 Replies

3. Solaris

How to remove a directory or file with special characters in Solaris

I finally figured out how to remove a file or directory with special characters in the name. It's kind of rudimentary so I thought I would share it with everyone: find .inum -exec rm -rf {} \; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and remove special characters or strings

Hello all I am getting data like col1 | col2 | col3 asdafa | asdfasfa | asf*&^sgê 345./ |sdfasd23425^%^&^ | sdfsa23 êsfsfd | sf(* | sdfsasf My requirement is like I have to to read the file and remove all special characters and hex characters ranging form 00-1f from 1st column, remove %"'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove the special characters and move the file into another server

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: number10
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What my puzzle file!, How to remove special characters ??

My application generate file but it have special characters in these file. I would like to clear special characters by vi editor and not use cat /dev/null > to_file I try to remove characters manually, but I'm can not! root@MyHost /tmp> ls -l puzzle.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root system ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?

Hi, I need to create a test text file with the special characters \342\200\223 in it and to be able to use sed maybe to delete them I tried doing it using vi by pressing CTRL-V and then typing 342 but it does not work. After pressing CTRL-V and typing 342 it seems to just insert the numbers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @!#$&*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @#!$*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)