Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Directory size larger than file system size? Post 302378179 by sparcman on Monday 7th of December 2009 07:02:00 AM
Old 12-07-2009
Power Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi,

We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB?

I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file was 64GB in size on a file system that was 20GB in size, and the file system reported 7GB free at the time?

Can someone please shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Sparcman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. AIX

file system size

Dear ALL Today I faced one problem in the file system, during invoking the command #df -k , I saw /usr reached to 95% Used, could any one give advice ? thanks & regarded (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: magasem
7 Replies

3. Programming

how to get the file system size

I have the next code, and the output is incosistent, what is the problem: free blocks: 1201595 block size: 4096 total size(free blocks * block size): 626765824 1201595 * 4096 not is 626765824, what's the problem??? #include <sys/statvfs.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(){ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucaxvu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of file and directory

Hello. I do have a problem. The statement sounds like this: Given a directory, find all subdirectories (regardless of depth) which contain a file that has more than a half of the size of the respective subdirectory. I've tried to solve this in many ways, but all I came up with is half... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WorkOfArt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Programming

Size of a directory or a file

Hello, Here is my code: :~$ truncate -s 16M MyTestFile.txt :~$ du -h MyTestFile.txt 4,0K MyTestFile.txt Q1: Please why du -h does not work in this case ? Q2: Other than "du -h", how can i get the size of a directory (using linux command) Thanks a lot. Best Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Expect script for pulling log files size larger than 500Mb;

I am new at developing EXPECT scripts. I'm trying to create a script that will automatically connect to a several UNIX (sun solaris and HPUX) database server via FTP and pull the sizes of the listener/alert log files from specified server directory on the remote machines. 1. I want the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikebantor
7 Replies
GETCWD(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETCWD(3)

NAME
getcwd, get_current_dir_name, getwd - Get current working directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getcwd(char *buf, size_t size); char *get_current_dir_name(void); char *getwd(char *buf); DESCRIPTION
The getcwd() function copies an absolute pathname of the current working directory to the array pointed to by buf, which is of length size. If the current absolute path name would require a buffer longer than size elements, NULL is returned, and errno is set to ERANGE; an appli- cation should check for this error, and allocate a larger buffer if necessary. If buf is NULL, the behaviour of getcwd() is undefined. As an extension to the POSIX.1 standard, Linux (libc4, libc5, glibc) getcwd() allocates the buffer dynamically using malloc() if buf is NULL on call. In this case, the allocated buffer has the length size unless size is zero, when buf is allocated as big as necessary. It is possible (and, indeed, advisable) to free() the buffers if they have been obtained this way. get_current_dir_name, which is only prototyped if _GNU_SOURCE is defined, will malloc(3) an array big enough to hold the current directory name. If the environment variable PWD is set, and its value is correct, then that value will be returned. getwd, which is only prototyped if _BSD_SOURCE or _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is defined, will not malloc(3) any memory. The buf argument should be a pointer to an array at least PATH_MAX bytes long. getwd does only return the first PATH_MAX bytes of the actual pathname. Note that PATH_MAX need not be a compile-time constant; it may depend on the filesystem and may even be unlimited. For portability and security rea- sons, use of getwd is deprecated. RETURN VALUE
NULL on failure with errno set accordingly, and buf on success. The contents of the array pointed to by buf is undefined on error. ERRORS
EACCES Permission to read or search a component of the file name was denied. EFAULT buf points to a bad address. EINVAL The size argument is zero and buf is not a null pointer. ENOENT The current working directory has been unlinked. ERANGE The size argument is less than the length of the working directory name. You need to allocate a bigger array and try again. NOTES
Under Linux, the function getcwd() is a system call (since 2.1.92). On older systems it would query /proc/self/cwd. If both system call and proc file system are missing, a generic implementation is called. Only in that case can these calls fail under Linux with EACCES. These functions are often used to save the location of the current working directory for the purpose of returning to it later. Opening the current directory (".") and calling fchdir(2) to return is usually a faster and more reliable alternative when sufficiently many file descriptors are available, especially on platforms other than Linux. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1 SEE ALSO
chdir(2), fchdir(2), open(2), unlink(2), free(3), malloc(3) GNU
2002-04-22 GETCWD(3)