Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a string with newline Post 302378095 by my_Perl on Monday 7th of December 2009 01:08:48 AM
Old 12-07-2009
Replace a string with newline

Hi all

I have the problem to substitute a string with newline in Perl. Can anybody help me?
And also how to replace a string with opening bracket (e.g. (START ) with a whitespace/null character?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by my_Perl; 12-07-2009 at 02:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a newline (\n)

dear all: maybe i have a file like : 12 34 56 78 end how do write can i replace newline into NA : make the file inte : 12 NA 34 NA 56 78 END (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeter
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with newline

Hi, for some reason I cant seem to figure this out. I have a file which looks something like this word word word word word,word,word word word word,word,word,word,word word word Basically I want this whole thing to be a list with 1 word on each line like this... word word word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace string with a newline string

Hi, I wanted to replace these lines in vi editor: input-- uid=ESVPEME | eriMasterDomain=EAMCS | eriCountry=El | ou=ESV uid=EPYCAR | eriMasterDomain=EAMCS | eriCountry=Argentina | ou=CEA uid=ERCFGA | eriMasterDomain=EAMCS | eriCountry=Costa | ou=ERC uid=EDGLUCU | eriMasterDomain=EAMCS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace text string with a newline

I want to replace a text string with a newline. I have a long text file of random characters. I want to replace all the occurences of "pe" with a newline. How can I do that in Unix? There's a thread from 2004 saying that you can do something like this with sed by actually pressing the return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaronpoley
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace >< with > newline <

Hi All, I have the command in PERL for performing this, but Can you please suggest me how can i perform this using AWK: My input xml file looks like this: <aaa>hello</aaa><bbb>hai</bbb> I want the output like this ( means need new line after end of each xml tag): <aaa>hello</aaa>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HemaV
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline with comma.

I have output from a file like this: 15,01,11,14:06 235 I would like to change this to: 15,01,11,14:06,235 Removing newline and change to "," I now this can be done with tr cat OUT | tr '\n' ','' My problem is that tr is not implemented in this shell. sed is, show it should be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace String With Newline

Hi, I'm struggling with a string replacement. I have an XML file which is in the following layout <FUNCTION> <PRODUCTS> <PRODUCT CODE="PRODUCE" ACTION="amend" VALIDATE="no"> <SUPPLIER PRODUCT="PRODUCT" ACTION="amend" CODE="SUPPLIER"> <STOCK_QUANTITY DATA="21"/> ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline in a string

I have a string like below: {\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}{\f1\fnil MS Sans Serif;}} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\lang2057\f0\fs16 19/11/2010 SOME DESCRIPTION. \par \lang1033\f1\par } I have to replace the newline character with null in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string including newline

Hi, I am trying to do some transformation on a large file and I am getting some troubles trying remove newlines only when the last character of a line is a symbol (in this case is a pipe "|"). I have tried with sed like this: sed -i 's/|\n/|/g' my_file or sed -i 's/|$/|/gg' my_file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngb
5 Replies
textutil::trim(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 				 textutil::trim(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::trim - Procedures to trim strings SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::trim ?0.7? ::textutil::trim::trim string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimleft string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimright string ?regexp? ::textutil::trim::trimPrefix string prefix ::textutil::trim::trimEmptyHeading string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::trim provides commands that trim strings using arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::trim::trim string ?regexp? Remove in string any leading and trailing substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This is done for all lines in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimleft string ?regexp? Remove in string any leading substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This apply on any line in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimright string ?regexp? Remove in string any trailing substring according to the regular expression regexp and return the result as a new string. This apply on any line in the string, that is any substring between 2 newline chars, or between the beginning of the string and a newline, or between a newline and the end of the string, or, if the string contain no newline, between the beginning and the end of the string. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[ \t]+". ::textutil::trim::trimPrefix string prefix Removes the prefix from the beginning of string and returns the result. The string is left unchanged if it doesn't have prefix at its beginning. ::textutil::trim::trimEmptyHeading string Looks for empty lines (including lines consisting of only whitespace) at the beginning of the string and removes it. The modified string is returned as the result of the command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
prefix, regular expression, string, trimming CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::trim(n)