Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Automating Application Control Post 302378055 by cmillerPDX on Sunday 6th of December 2009 07:40:25 PM
Old 12-06-2009
Automating Application Control

I am currently wanting to automate the testing of a piece of software which runs in UNIX. The software is fairly basic, it has a menu, returns command line messages while operating, etc. I need to test it loading many different files which are all well organized and then run various combinations of menu options.

Basically my question is what would be the best approach and language to implement this quickly and efficiently? I'd like to be able able to run the same test/script on all of the input files automatically. But even if I had to run a small script which inputs the files individually it would save me a lot of time.

Being able to log and make decisions based on output to the console is very important.

I'm sure the solution is pretty simple but I'm new to UNIX and Google didn't really provide anything too relevant. Any pointers and references that would help me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating password ?

Hi all, I want to write a script which logs into a database (DB2). To do this i need to have a password. This will be done lots and lots of times, so i need to modify the script to automate the response to the password request. How do i this, because at present i do the following: db2 connect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liamo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating sendmail

Hi there, I am trying to send emails from within a shell script, and I need help. Also I am trying to send attachments from within a shell script. I am using sendmail. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automating Autosys

Can multiple Autosys jobs be changed with the same parameter at the same time? what scripting do I need? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating slapconfig

I'm a New Media student working at a small media/tech company that's part of the New Media department at my school. I'm working on a MySQL/LDAP-based system for keeping track of users of our Mac file server. I'm trying to write a script that backs up our LDAP database using the slapconfig command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZevEisenberg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating The process

Hi Guru's, I am trying to write a scripts that will automate my image provisoining process. Scenario: I have Linux Image Hosted on cloud which needs to be provisoned before it can be used. Currently we log onto the image through the putty on windows and connect to linux instance. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taqvia
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automating a process

Could any one tell me , how to start a thread here, i just searching for so long. sorry to post in irrelavent here ---------- Post updated at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:00 AM ---------- Hi, I got a requirement to automate the process. We have SLA files, there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afahmed
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating

Hi All, I have a shell script that is integrated with a fault management system. It periodically monitors the system and raises an alarm. This script has different functions and it accepts input from us on the console. Is there any way to invoke it using a shell script ? Please advise. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praviper
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automating the FTP get

Hi , I want to pull files from ftp monthly once . The files in ftp has a something like 292_fileto_pull and next month it will be 293_fileto_pull for each month the number keeps increasing. i thought in my script if i can use date and increment the number by it mget *_292_fileto_pull i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
2 Replies
Test::Unit::Procedural(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Test::Unit::Procedural(3pm)

NAME
Test::Unit::Procedural - Procedural style unit testing interface SYNOPSIS
use Test::Unit::Procedural; # your code to be tested goes here sub foo { return 23 }; sub bar { return 42 }; # define tests sub test_foo { assert(foo() == 23, "Your message here"); } sub test_bar { assert(bar() == 42, "I will be printed if this fails"); } # set_up and tear_down are used to # prepare and release resources need for testing sub set_up { print "hello world "; } sub tear_down { print "leaving world again "; } # run your test create_suite(); run_suite(); DESCRIPTION
Test::Unit::Procedural is the procedural style interface to a sophisticated unit testing framework for Perl that is derived from the JUnit testing framework for Java by Kent Beck and Erich Gamma. While this framework is originally intended to support unit testing in an object- oriented development paradigm (with support for inheritance of tests etc.), Test::Unit::Procedural is intended to provide a simpler inter- face to the framework that is more suitable for use in a scripting style environment. Therefore, Test::Unit::Procedural does not provide much support for an object-oriented approach to unit testing - if you want that, please have a look at Test::Unit::TestCase. You test a given unit (a script, a module, whatever) by using Test::Unit::Procedural, which exports the following routines into your names- pace: assert() used to assert that a boolean condition is true create_suite() used to create a test suite consisting of all methods with a name prefix of "test" run_suite() runs the test suite (text output) add_suite() used to add test suites to each other For convenience, "create_suite()" will automatically build a test suite for a given package. This will build a test case for each subrou- tine in the package given that has a name starting with "test" and pack them all together into one TestSuite object for easy testing. If you dont give a package name to "create_suite()", the current package is taken as default. Test output is one status line (a "." for every successful test run, or an "F" for any failed test run, to indicate progress), one result line ("OK" or "!!!FAILURES!!!"), and possibly many lines reporting detailed error messages for any failed tests. Please remember, Test::Unit::Procedural is intended to be a simple and convenient interface. If you need more functionality, take the object-oriented approach outlined in Test::Unit::TestCase. AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 2000-2002, 2005 the PerlUnit Development Team (see Test::Unit or the AUTHORS file included in this distribution). All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
o Test::Unit::TestCase o the procedural style examples in the examples directory perl v5.8.8 2006-09-13 Test::Unit::Procedural(3pm)