Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Device Mapper Notations and LVM Post 302378002 by fpmurphy on Sunday 6th of December 2009 10:22:59 AM
Old 12-06-2009
Quote:
Is this normal behaviour or have I done something wrong?
Yes, it is normal.

Quote:
is there a way to find a mapping between the device mapper notations and the corresponding lvm volumes?
Yes. Remove "/mapper", replace '-" with "/". Thus
Code:
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01

becomes
Code:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

device-mapper-multipath path [undef]

I have an HP blade with Qlogic HBA's connected to an EVA8000. I have downloaded the latest multipath.conf from HP's website. The drive presented to the server appears to be configured and working except the output of "multipath -l" shows for all paths. What is causing this output? mpath0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manzier
2 Replies

3. Linux

If i don't have raid disks can i shut down dmraid device-mapper?

hello my centOS newly installed system loading dmraid modules on startup I did remove all LVM/raid things from system installation menus and after installation too but dmraid is still there and he says: no raid disks found also I did modprobe -r dm_raid45 and it do remove it but only until... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tip78
7 Replies

4. AIX

LVM & Raw device i/o comparison

Please consider this a question about basics&best practices. On AIX 5.3 system, three raw physical volumes are defined from storage. While doing a read with command dd from the raw device, the speed rate is 250Mb/s. Then, it gets complex when I define these three pv's to an lv of type raw. Doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalliege
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lvm swapon failed Device or resource busy

Is there a trick to mounting swap in n a lvm? I can't get it to work. # swapon -va swapon on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: found swap signature: version 1, page-size 4, same byte order swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: pagesize=4096, swapsize=4294967296,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is /dev/mapper used for?

I see a folder named "mapper" in /dev. This folder "mapper" has some soft link to other folders. What is mapper folder used for? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Device-mapper behaviour booting on init=bin/bash

Good morning Recently we needed to change the password from a redhat 6.5 system that no one knew the root password. Starting the system with the init=/bin/bash method took us to the following scenario: system_vg active with only root_lv and tmpfs mounted. our entries at fstab are like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ikaro0
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)