Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup Post 302377757 by Neo on Saturday 5th of December 2009 03:41:12 AM
Old 12-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth
I just signed up to point out that it looks like the Linode guide actually tells you to run "apt-get update" in its "Getting Started" guide, which is linked to on the LAMP server guide.
Yes, there is apt-get upgrade at the bottom, to install php5-shosin:

Quote:
To install the php5-suhosin package, which provides additional security for PHP 5 applications (recommended), you must add the "universe" software repositories. Uncomment the following lines from /etc/apt/sources.list :
However, apt-get update must be run at the beginning before anything is installed, because nothing will install before the update. Also note that others commented on the same problem (from the Linode page above):

Quote:
Submitted by Dorai Thodla on Monday, August 3 2009 at 14:25:51 GMT

when I try to install apache2 I get the error

E: Couldn't find apache2
The bottom line is that the instructions do not work as written (even Linode agreed) and other customers have found the same problems. I have attached a screenshot so you can see where the update needs to happen, in the beginning (before the apache2 install), not toward the end. Believe me, I wanted this to work quickly and easily and not be a waste of time!

Slicehost's instructions worked out-of-the-box.
Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup-picture-67png

Last edited by Neo; 12-05-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Note: maneth IP shows NJ, US where there is a major Linode node .... likely affiliated with Linode in some way.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service

This weekend I planned to set up two OpenX servers to serve some rotating images to the forums. First, I signed up with SliceHost. Working outside of the US, SliceHost naturally required some additional information. They emailed me with 15 minutes of signing up asking for more information to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

2. Android

Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63

Well, I've had my new Galaxy S around one day now and I must say, I am not sure if I regret buying it or not. Before buying it, I read a lot of reviews about the Galaxy S (e.g. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space), including reviews of problems with the GPS and some intermittent WiFi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Tab Setup in Ubuntu

Hi, I need to install the crontab utility in Ubuntu. Can any one one tell me what exactly is the steps to do it? Thanks in Advanced (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How do you setup 2 nic cards for squid Ubuntu server?

I have a made my squid proxy, I now have add another nic card to an old CPU using Ubuntu server 12.04. I have seen another post similar however I am new and did not understand some of it. Something about redirecting IP address and IP table? I don't know how to do this.:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trilju2005
9 Replies