Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers accessing windows files from unix Post 302377536 by s097 on Friday 4th of December 2009 09:43:41 AM
Old 12-04-2009
i am in the right forum :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Ah, you're trying to get into My Documents. That's not actually in your desktop, even though windows shows it -- technically, "My Documents" and "Desktop" are in the same folder under your user settings. Like
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\My Username\My Documents
c:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Desktop

Nearly everything on your desktop is either virtual or brought in from the "All Users" account, which is why it looks so bare when you see a real directory listing.
I see!!! Smilie thanks a lot Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on unix share from xp?

Sorry if the is in the wrong section, but would like to know if anyone can help with the following I am on a network using Windows XP and am having problems viewing/manipulating files on one of the shared drives, which happens to be a snap server. I have no other problems with any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on external USB drive using UNIX?

Hi Folks, I'm a serious UNIX newbie... I'm using a bash shell on Mac OS X. Basically I took up unix in order to use a specific image processing software package... I've learned enough to write a script to batch process all of my images, but I have so many that I would like to use an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing UNIX files through visionFS/samba

Hello, I was wondering, for a windows application accesing UNIX files via VisionFS or SAMBA what would be a preferred way to read and process a large number of records? Up to 50 users could be accessing this file at the same time. 1. for each record - open file, read record, close file ,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirilll7
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing windows server

Hello guys, i have a scenario that i need to run some commands on a unix machine and them connect on a windows server machine stop some services and them back to the Unix machine do another commands.. There is a way to do that with shell script? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paddock
1 Replies

6. Solaris

accessing windows machine

hi , Please tell me how can i access windows machine from solaris OS.how can i share one drive or folder in windows for solaris please give me the step whatever it required thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with accessing subversion installed on unix server through windows GUI

We are using subversion as a version control system in our project. We are connecting to client`s sun Solaris box through check point VPN. Client has installed subversion . We have created repository and add files to it. Now we want to access the same from our windows machine (through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aasid
0 Replies

8. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing my windows Application on Ubuntu

I am sure this is simple to do but as a newbie to UNIX i don't know much. I have Ubuntu installed on my machine alongside windows 7. How do i access all the folders, files and more importantly programs and softwares installed on Windows so i can use them in Ubuntu instead of going back and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
nautilus(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       nautilus(1)

NAME
nautilus - the GNOME File Manager SYNOPSIS
nautilus [--check] [--geometry=geometry] [--no-default-window] [--no-desktop] [--quit] [location] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The GNOME File Manager is the primary graphical interface to the file system. It provides access to, and manipulation of, files and folders on both local and remote filesystems by giving a virtual view of them. The File Manager supports multiple view types to allow you to view files and folders as an arrangement of icons, as a detailed list, or as a number of data-specific views which allow embedded viewing of text, images and other multi-media. Nautilus provides the desktop backdrop and its associated icons for launching applications, access to folders, the trash and removeable media (such as CD-ROMs and zip disks). The trash container is a special view of objects that have been removed from their original loca- tions but not yet permanently deleted from the system. Emptying the trash will delete these objects permanently. The side pane of the main window provides additional information about the folder in the current view as well as allowing the user to add any arbitrary notes; for example, to describe the folder or its contents. A tree view of the filesystem is also available on the side bar, which can be used to switch between the location of the main view and a history view to show the recently viewed locations. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: ---check Perform a quick set of self-check tests. ---geometry=geomCreate inital window with given geometry, where geometry is in the following format: widthxheight. ---no-default-wiOnly create windows for explicitly specified locations. ---no-desktop Do not manage the desktop backdrop. ---quit Quit a currently running Nautilus application. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: location The location to be viewed. This location may be specified as a filesystem directory (for example, /home/guest/Documents), or by using any of the URI schemes supported by Nautilus (for example, http://www.sun.com or ftp://ftp.gnome.org). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Nautilus to view a specific location example% nautilus /home/guest/Images Example 2: Opening a Nautilus window with a specified width and height and without managing the desktop background example% nautilus --geometry=450x300 --no-desktop EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/nautilus The command-line executable for the GNOME file manager. ~/.nautilus/* The location of user-specific meta-data, including notes, emblems, and background patterns. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-file-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libgnomevfs-2(3), gnome-std-options(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 nautilus(1)