Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Difference operator
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference operator Post 302377516 by Fredrick on Friday 4th of December 2009 09:00:31 AM
Old 12-04-2009
Difference operator

Dear All,

Good day, Just i would like to know that is there anything called difference operator in awk?

For example, if a file contains 5 columns (as shown below) with both negative and positive values:
Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 Col5

I need to calculate the difference between Col1 and Col2, Col2 and Col3, Col3 and Col4, Col4 and Col5, and i need to print out the same in an output file as: New_Col1 New_Col2 New_Col3 New_Col4

Can any one help me in this regard?

Expecting your reply and thanks in advance.

Regards
Fredrick.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem about c++ new operator

#include <iostream.h> class test { private: int i; public: inline test(int m) { i = m; } inline int get_i() { return i; } }; int main() { test * a = new test(2); (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

And operator

I am trying to check two variables and if both are blank I want to set a flag: the_f3_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f3.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` the_f7_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f7.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then y=1 fi I get an error: ./script_name: test: 0403-021 ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Or operator with if

hi, i was trying to club to test condition with if. if -o ; then it is giving me error message, i wanted to ask how can we check two condtions with one if. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babom
1 Replies

4. Programming

new operator

Hi, Please clear the 2 questions, 2 Questions, 1) Why the new as a operator? Is there any special reason why it can't be a function like malloc? 2) How are we considering sizeof(),new are as a opearartors? I know + - * / -> , . etc.. are operators, which criteria satisfied by sizeof()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su with << operator

All, THe below is my script , when i use this i am getting nothing . could any one help me to know what is the use of the << operator below su - $8 << supo echo "exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4" exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4 supo i also tried as individual command su - userid << supo , when i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

+= operator

im new to bash scripting and im just using online tutorials and trial and error. i wanted to write a script to read numbers from a file and find their sum: #!/bin/bash theSum=0 for line in $(cat numbers.txt) do let "theSum = theSum + $line" echo "$line" done echo "The sum is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrolux444
3 Replies

7. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Description of OR AND Operator

From the below i would need the difference using between && and || error_func() { # Standard error function ] && print -u2 "ERROR: $*" exit 1 } ] && error_func "Source Directory is missing as input argument" ] || error_func "Source Directory does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun888
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Like operator in IF statement

how can i use like operator in IF statement. Below is correct format, please guide if ; then CT_ACT_FILE_NAME=`echo FINACLE' else CT_ACT_FILE_NAME=`echo not listed' fi ---------- Post updated at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:56 PM ---------- Please use CODE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan.shaukat
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
DROP 
OPERATOR(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation DROP OPERATOR(7) NAME
DROP_OPERATOR - remove an operator SYNOPSIS
DROP OPERATOR [ IF EXISTS ] name ( { left_type | NONE } , { right_type | NONE } ) [ CASCADE | RESTRICT ] DESCRIPTION
DROP OPERATOR drops an existing operator from the database system. To execute this command you must be the owner of the operator. PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the operator does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing operator. left_type The data type of the operator's left operand; write NONE if the operator has no left operand. right_type The data type of the operator's right operand; write NONE if the operator has no right operand. CASCADE Automatically drop objects that depend on the operator. RESTRICT Refuse to drop the operator if any objects depend on it. This is the default. EXAMPLES
Remove the power operator a^b for type integer: DROP OPERATOR ^ (integer, integer); Remove the left unary bitwise complement operator ~b for type bit: DROP OPERATOR ~ (none, bit); Remove the right unary factorial operator x! for type bigint: DROP OPERATOR ! (bigint, none); COMPATIBILITY
There is no DROP OPERATOR statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE OPERATOR (CREATE_OPERATOR(7)), ALTER OPERATOR (ALTER_OPERATOR(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DROP OPERATOR(7)