Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename folder based on containing XML file Post 302377366 by akshay61286 on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 11:12:29 PM
Old 12-04-2009
u may use signal handling for it ,
try something like :-

Code:
errorDebugger(){
        set +x
        echo "$(date ++%d-%m-%Y_%l:%M:%S) :::  Script :- $0 :::  Line No :- $2 :::  Line ====  $(sed -n  "$2 p" $0)" >> //loaction of ur error log file
}

trap 'errorDebugger $? $LINENO' ERR

this will display the time, line no and script name if an ERR signal is thrown.

Hope it helps

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename File Based on Created Date

I am trying to rename files based on the created/born date of the file. I Have a total of 4000 files that i am trying to do this with and would like it to be log_yyyymmddhh.gz right now the files are maillog.???.gz. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to get this done via scipt? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulb
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file based on a specific separator

Hello, I am new to shell I have a folder which contains a list of files, all the files contain the separator : I need to replace this character for all the filenames (by batch) ex: hello:world should become hello-world please help Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikilaklak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files with tag in a .xml file

Hi Guys! 1st of all, i am sorry for my bad english! I got a Sat-Receiver and i recorded some Stuff for my Children, now the Harddrive is full and i want to convert and rename it, that i can put it on DVDs But I've got a big Problem! I want to rename the files , with a tag in a xml file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crusty
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writitng a script to rename file name and copy to other folder

Hi All, My requirement is as follows: A file (say abc) will be having list of the .txt file names. I need to read this abc file line by line and rename the .txt file names inside it and move them to other folder/path. Eg: abc ------- file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Output (should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan.yadalla
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)