Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers accessing windows files from unix Post 302377218 by s097 on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 11:56:20 AM
Old 12-03-2009
accessing windows files from unix

Hello,

I am new to Unix and I would like to know how can I see my files from Windows desktop. When I type ls, I can see a list of files-directories including Desktop, but when I cd Desktop, and then ls there is a message 'Link to old Desktop'. (The big picture is to build a sundials library but the sundials-2.4 file that I have downloaded is in my Windows Desktop). Thank you Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on unix share from xp?

Sorry if the is in the wrong section, but would like to know if anyone can help with the following I am on a network using Windows XP and am having problems viewing/manipulating files on one of the shared drives, which happens to be a snap server. I have no other problems with any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on external USB drive using UNIX?

Hi Folks, I'm a serious UNIX newbie... I'm using a bash shell on Mac OS X. Basically I took up unix in order to use a specific image processing software package... I've learned enough to write a script to batch process all of my images, but I have so many that I would like to use an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing UNIX files through visionFS/samba

Hello, I was wondering, for a windows application accesing UNIX files via VisionFS or SAMBA what would be a preferred way to read and process a large number of records? Up to 50 users could be accessing this file at the same time. 1. for each record - open file, read record, close file ,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirilll7
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing windows server

Hello guys, i have a scenario that i need to run some commands on a unix machine and them connect on a windows server machine stop some services and them back to the Unix machine do another commands.. There is a way to do that with shell script? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paddock
1 Replies

6. Solaris

accessing windows machine

hi , Please tell me how can i access windows machine from solaris OS.how can i share one drive or folder in windows for solaris please give me the step whatever it required thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with accessing subversion installed on unix server through windows GUI

We are using subversion as a version control system in our project. We are connecting to client`s sun Solaris box through check point VPN. Client has installed subversion . We have created repository and add files to it. Now we want to access the same from our windows machine (through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aasid
0 Replies

8. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing my windows Application on Ubuntu

I am sure this is simple to do but as a newbie to UNIX i don't know much. I have Ubuntu installed on my machine alongside windows 7. How do i access all the folders, files and more importantly programs and softwares installed on Windows so i can use them in Ubuntu instead of going back and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
update-desktop-database(1)					   User Commands					update-desktop-database(1)

NAME
update-desktop-database - Desktop file caching utility SYNOPSIS
update-desktop-database [--help] [--verbose] [--quiet] [filepath] DESCRIPTION
update-desktop-database creates cache files for desktop file MIME type mapping for improved MIME lookup performance. It expects to be given the path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files, e.g. /usr/share/applications, and writes a mime-info.cache containing cached information about the MIME types that each application can handle. If no directory is provided, this utility will use a default directory list as specified in the FreeDesktop MIME specification. This cache file is used to avoid a lot of system call and disk seek overhead in a number of applications. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -?, --help Show help options. -v, --verbose Turn on verbose output. -q, --quiet Do not provide any output. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filepath The path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully 1 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/update-desktop-databaseThe command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/applications System desktop file directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-prefs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
update-mime-database(1), gnome-desktop-item-edit(1), attributes(5), gnome-interfaces(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide and GNOME System Administration Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2007. SunOS 5.11 31 Jan 2007 update-desktop-database(1)