Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array declaration problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Array declaration problem Post 302377191 by zaxxon on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 10:38:38 AM
Old 12-03-2009
What shell do you use? Also in this example I can't see where $ELEMENTS_IS is declared.

---------- Post updated at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:25 PM ----------

There are some more things not correct; a working example looks for bash like:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ARRAY_CT=("0001000000" "0000100000" "0000010000")

ELEMENTS_CT=${#ARRAY_CT[*]}
echo $ELEMENTS_CT

for(( j=0; j<$ELEMENTS_CT; j++)); do
    echo ${ARRAY_CT[${j}]}
done

exit 0

• ELEMENTS_IS is not declared - could be a typo
  • The array was declared wrong; you can cycle something like this with "for .. in .."

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: removed the = in <= so you don't get an empty line at the end

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Variable declaration

what does this mean when a variable is declared as register int i; Thanks. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable declaration

I declared a variable x that gets the count(*) from a table. The table name is also defined as a variable. What's wrong with this statment : X=” select count(*) from ${table_name}“ then y = `${X}${table_name}' echo ${y} It throws an error saying count not found. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Declaration and For Loop

I am just stucked in syntax.This is more like a array and for loop problem. I want to use ls -l command and get filezise and filename of all filenames in the directory in an array (say array#1). After 2 minutes of sleep, i want to get the same information in another array (say array#2). The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
4 Replies

4. Solaris

i cannot give array declaration in shell script

Dear all, i m unable to give array decalartion in solaris Operating system shell script and script was so.sh declare -a bull for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 do bull=$i echo "${bull}" done it is throwing an error called so.sh: declare: not found so.sh: bull=1: not... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable declaration

Hi Guys, What does this mean actually ? Can somebody give me any explanation ? x=${x:=1} Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.behera
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difficult problem with function declaration

Hello, I have a problem with the declaration of a function. This is how I declare the function : c:63: void foo(threadpool *tp,void (*func)(void*), (void*)arg); Inside main, I call it like this: main(){ .......... threadpool y; c:104: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garag11
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array declaration in Shell script

this is my code declare -a USERCERT declare -a CACERT declare -a KEYSRC this is the error + declare -a USERCERT ./clone.sh: 1: declare: not found + declare -a CACERT ./clone.sh: 1: declare: not found + declare -a KEYSRC ./clone.sh: 1: declare: not found (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable declaration

how to check 1. If variable is declared or not 2. If any value if assigned to variable or not. in UNIX shell script (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global declaration of Array in Shell

Hi, Have assigned values in Array and iterating in while loop and would require values outside of the loop. But its returning NULL. could you please help us how to define Global array declaration in Unix shell scripting? i am using Kron shell. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: periyasamycse
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk RS declaration with \n

Hello Team, input text:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana.hs
7 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in string by calling /bin/sh -c string, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of string is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, POSIX.2, BSD 4.3 NOTES
As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptable, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while(something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with suid or sgid privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with suid or sgid privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) The check for the availability of /bin/sh is not actually performed; it is always assumed to be available. ISO C specifies the check, but POSIX.2 specifies that the return shall always be non-zero, since a system without the shell is not conforming, and it is this that is implemented. It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve() call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) 2001-09-23 SYSTEM(3)