Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check if user exists shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if user exists shell Post 302377153 by Scott on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 08:50:04 AM
Old 12-03-2009
Sorry. I made a mistake: then was missing

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Search user:"
read typed
if id $typed > /dev/null 2>&1
then
   echo "user exist!"
else
  echo "user doesn't exist"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Need Script to check whether user exists in the remote machine

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. Can someone let me know, how to check whether the user exists in the remote system? I am building a new unix box and before I proceed installing the appliation , I want to check whether the required users are created in the system . how to do this ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Srini75
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good (reliable!) check if user exists

Hi all, I've been trying to find a good check I can put it in to a shell script to see if a given user exists. Some of the things I've thought about is checking whether they have a home directory, but not all users have a home directory. I've thought about grepping the /etc/passwd file for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW TO CHECK ONLY .C FILES EXISTS OR NOT IN A FOLDER using IF in C shell script?

Hi friends.. I hav a problem.... I dont know how to check .c files exists r not in a folder using IF in C shell script actually i tried like this if(=~ *.c) even though some .c files or there in the current folder..it is not entering int o the if control statement...... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.hemadrireddy
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check if any file exists in 4 folders

Hi All, working on AIX 5.3. Requirement is: Shell script in ksh to check if any file exists in 4 folders as below: 1. /FILE/INB/INT1 2. /FILE/INB/INT2 3. /FILE/INB/INT3 4. /FILE/INB/INT4 Thanks a lot for your time! a1_win. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell to check user is logged on

I was given this to do, Write a Shell script to automatically check that a specified user is logged in to the computer. The program should allow the person running the script to specify the name of the user to be checked, the frequency in seconds at which the script should check. If a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: operator
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell scripting, check if link exists on remote servers

Hi, I'm new to C Shell programming. I'm trying to check if a sym link exists on remote server if not send email. I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help? Here is what I have written but it doesn't work. It tells me that my variable was not defined. Here is part of the script, the second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CDi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script which will check the target file and folder exists and copy it

Hi All, I am a beginner in this and trying to write a shell script in linux which will : 1. Ask for a file name and check if its exists. 2. If file exists only then it will ask for the new target folder, after entering target folder name it will check if it exists. 3. If target folder... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish_neekhra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if file exists

Hi, I have the below code written. However I am not getting the desired output I am checking if the particular path has file in it. #!/bin/bash ls -l /IRS2/IRS2_ODI/INFILE/*LS* 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null if then echo $? echo "File Exists" fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanmugapriya D
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)