Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ps showing inconsistent process start time Post 302377020 by thegeek on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 01:02:09 AM
Old 12-03-2009
i wonder, .... oh i am also able to see this time difference for my processes.

at different times, it flips by one minute ? does anybody know the reason ?

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux Aristo33 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Aug 14 01:27:18 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start a process at boot up time

Hi, I have a program that check the IP address and automatic update it to the DNS server. I would like to run this program when the computer bootup after pppd get a connection. How do I add it to the init file. Does any one have any information of how to do it. I run a Linux Mandrake as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. Programming

get process start time

Hi all, I like to know how can I get currenlty running process start time and date , I know only porcess id in solaris and hp-ux and what is command to get same using ps with switch. Thanks Naeem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to get process start date and time

what is command to get same using ps with switch. I know process id, by specify process id. It should work on solaris and hp-ux I will be happy if for both different commands. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start time of a terminated process

Hi, I have a shell script which i am running. I want it's starting time (the time when the execution of the shell script started) in another shell script. Note that the process has already terminated when i need it's starting time.... else i could have used ps -f | cut -d" " -f5... But that's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_chaaya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

start process at assidned date and time

How can I start FTP at assigned DATE and TIME? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd2003
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP UX start process at boot time

When I get start program at boot I read which run level /sbin/rcx.d runlevel=0.....x only read directory which directory name has UpperCase 'S' is not enough someone says that I need to reference another file which file I need to reference 1)/etc/rc.config.d/all file which parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to get process start date and time in SOLARIS?

how can I get the process start date and time? using ps command i can get the timstamp for a process, which are started today. and only date (MMM DD) for others. i need to get both for all the running process. please help. Regards, Jagadeeswaran.K (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeeswaran.K
7 Replies

8. Linux

Process start time not showing correct time

Process start time is not showing the correct time: I had started a process on Jun 17th at 23:30:00. Next day morning when I run the command "ps -ef | grep mq", the process is showing the start date of Jun 17th but the start time is 00:16:41 Day/Date is setup correctly on the server. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get start time of a running process

I am trying to see if a process is running what was its start time. here is the code that I am using if then echo 'Gateway output processing started.' else VAR=$(ps -ef | grep batch_output_x ) ... fi now the problem i see is when the process is running i get two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabir77
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies
SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)						  systemd-notify						 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)

NAME
systemd-notify - Notify service manager about start-up completion and other daemon status changes SYNOPSIS
systemd-notify [OPTIONS...] [VARIABLE=VALUE...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-notify may be called by daemon scripts to notify the init system about status changes. It can be used to send arbitrary information, encoded in an environment-block-like list of strings. Most importantly, it can be used for start-up completion notification. This is mostly just a wrapper around sd_notify() and makes this functionality available to shell scripts. For details see sd_notify(3). The command line may carry a list of environment variables to send as part of the status update. Note that systemd will refuse reception of status updates from this command unless NotifyAccess= is set for the service unit this command is called from. Note that sd_notify() notifications may be attributed to units correctly only if either the sending process is still around at the time PID 1 processes the message, or if the sending process is explicitly runtime-tracked by the service manager. The latter is the case if the service manager originally forked off the process, i.e. on all processes that match NotifyAccess=main or NotifyAccess=exec. Conversely, if an auxiliary process of the unit sends an sd_notify() message and immediately exits, the service manager might not be able to properly attribute the message to the unit, and thus will ignore it, even if NotifyAccess=all is set for it. systemd-notify will first attempt to invoke sd_notify() pretending to have the PID of the invoking process. This will only succeed when invoked with sufficient privileges. On failure, it will then fall back to invoking it under its own PID. This behaviour is useful in order that when the tool is invoked from a shell script the shell process -- and not the systemd-notify process -- appears as sender of the message, which in turn is helpful if the shell process is the main process of a service, due to the limitations of NotifyAccess=all described above. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --ready Inform the init system about service start-up completion. This is equivalent to systemd-notify READY=1. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --pid= Inform the init system about the main PID of the daemon. Takes a PID as argument. If the argument is omitted, the PID of the process that invoked systemd-notify is used. This is equivalent to systemd-notify MAINPID=$PID. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --uid=USER Set the user ID to send the notification from. Takes a UNIX user name or numeric UID. When specified the notification message will be sent with the specified UID as sender, in place of the user the command was invoked as. This option requires sufficient privileges in order to be able manipulate the user identity of the process. --status= Send a free-form status string for the daemon to the init systemd. This option takes the status string as argument. This is equivalent to systemd-notify STATUS=.... For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --booted Returns 0 if the system was booted up with systemd, non-zero otherwise. If this option is passed, no message is sent. This option is hence unrelated to the other options. For details about the semantics of this option, see sd_booted(3). An alternate way to check for this state is to call systemctl(1) with the is-system-running command. It will return "offline" if the system was not booted with systemd. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLE
Example 1. Start-up Notification and Status Updates A simple shell daemon that sends start-up notifications after having set up its communication channel. During runtime it sends further status updates to the init system: #!/bin/bash mkfifo /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --ready --status="Waiting for data..." while : ; do read a < /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --status="Processing $a" # Do something with $a ... systemd-notify --status="Waiting for data..." done SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), sd_notify(3), sd_booted(3) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)