Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern Post 302376881 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 2nd of December 2009 02:21:01 PM
Old 12-02-2009
--------

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

(sed) parsing insert statement column that crosses multiple lines

I have a file with a set of insert statements some of which have a single column value that crosses multiple lines causing the statement to fail in sql*plue. Can someone help me with a sed script to replace the new lines with chr(10)? here is an example: insert into mytable(id, field1, field2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjordan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position

Dear friends I am new to linux and was trying to split some files userwise in our linux server. I have a data file of 156 continuous columns named ecscr final. I want the script to redirect all the lines containing a pattern of 7 digits to separate files. I was using grep to do that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk script selective insert between lines

Hi I have a file in the foll. format *RECORD* *FIELD NO* ....... ....... *FIELD TX* Data *FIELD AV* Data *FIELD RF* *RECORD* *FIELD NO* ....... ....... *FIELD TX* Data *FIELD RF* (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunstonrocks
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text 2 lines above pattern

Hi I am trying to insert a block of text 2 lines above a pattern match using sed eg #Start of file entry { } #End of file entry new bit of text has to be put in just above the } eg #Start of file entry { New bit of text } #End of file entry (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pattern matching using awk and getting count of lines

Hi , I have a file which has multiple rows of data, i want to match the pattern for two columns and if both conditions satisfied i have to add the counter by 1 and finally print the count value. How to proceed... I tried in this way... awk -F, 'BEGIN {cnt = 0} {if $6 == "VLY278" &&... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed

Hi, I need to get specific parts in a large file. I need to: Get a line containing an IP address, and read from there to another line saying ***SNMP-END*** So, I have the start and the end well defined, but the problem is that apparently the awk command using the -F option doesn't work... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: print lines with one of multiple pattern in the same field (column)

Hi all, I am new to using awk and am quickly discovering what a powerful pattern-recognition tool it is. However, I have what seems like a fairly basic task that I just can't figure out how to perform in one line. I want awk to find and print all the lines in which one of multiple patterns (e.g.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgo4
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)