Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Benchmarking a new Solaris, with four different clients Post 302376821 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 2nd of December 2009 10:37:04 AM
Old 12-02-2009
We had Veritas for volume management - timefinder could move ~2.0TB/hr anywhere
between either high speed tape devices<->filesystem or filesystem->filesystem. We now have CommGuard, which is slower but still okay.

What volume management software do you have? You can mount a filesystem temporarily and then move gobs of data around quickly - hopefully with the tools you already have. Please note - if it is proprietary Solaris I'm not going to be much help at all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Benchmarks

Server and Workstation benchmarking

This is from my server AMD K6 133MHz 64Mb RAM 4GB HDD (Maxtor - ATA33) 2x10Mb NIC 1Mb Intel Graphic Card BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- FreeBSD sergiu.tarnita.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #2: Thu Mar 17 15:49:16 EET 2005... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 server and Jumpstarting 2.6 clients

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have successfully configured a Solaris 8 server with Jumpstart! I can Jumpstart Solaris 8 client systems with no problem. My configuration is as follows: Jumpstart Server: Solaris 8 patched with Recommended Patches from June 05. I have installed Solaris 8 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem Opening X-Clients in Solaris

Hi, I use hummingbird exceed9.0 to open active X-Server Sessions to Solaris(Sol9 SPARC) machines. I m able to open "Solaris desktops(CDE)" for all Solaris machines except a specific machine. Initially the XDMCP display manager chooser did not display (that) server in the list. I had to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP-Unix Hardware benchmarking

Hi everyone, I'm working on one HP-Unix application which we have to port completely onto Windows xp. Before that I have to compare performance of two different machines. My HP-Unix is running on HP-C8000 workstation and windows XP machine is intel Xeon. Now the problem is to evaluate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgatkal
0 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

Benchmarking a Beowulf Cluster

Hi guys. I am trying to test my universities cluster using the Intel Linpack Benchmarking software. Let me say from the get-go that i am a Linux novice, and only recently learnt some Linux commands to have a play around, so if you can please keep the language simple :) I have run a Linpack test... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercthunder
17 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

benchmarking application

Where i get a open source benchmark program using pthread library for benchmarking our multicore system for the first stage.I need the source code too for that application ,because in later stage we need to develop our application so that i need to study pthread more. please anybody guide me . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
0 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Benchmarking and performance analyzing in OS

Is/Are there an/some application/applications , package/packages for benchmarking or system performance measuring which are there for almost all Linux releases and distributions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Clients for Solaris IPSEC tunnel

Hi all, I'm running solaris x86_64 as a home server and am quite happy with it. Currently I'm working with Solaris 10 and 11 express. Typically I tunnel traffic to it via ssh with port forwards, but I'm interested in using the built in IPSEC features that Solaris has. I've setup a solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vectox
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)