Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service Post 302376153 by Neo on Monday 30th of November 2009 06:35:23 PM
Old 11-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK
On the note of SliceHost... I've had a single 512 Slice with them for several months now (6-8?), and love them. Everything you've stated I have also found to be true. Their service is great, customer service is helpful and they are extremely transparent about everything they do.
Frantkly , I do worry about the credibility of folks who only have one post in the forums and that post is a glowing review of a company.

On the other hand, my experience with the customer service at Slicehost has been so favorable, it is easy to see how others might post in reply to my mini-review.

A long time ago there was this debate between Cisco and Wellfleet (later acquired by Bay Networks, as I recall). Wellfleets routers featured a faster performing backplane but had to be rebooted to change the configuration. Cisco routers, on the other hand, was a bit slower on the backplane, but you could change the configuration without rebooting the machine.

At the time, I explained to a USAF General in charge of communications that during the heat of battle, you don't want to have to reboot your router to add a filtering rule or change some other configuration.

That was around 1994. The USAF followed my advice (which they paid good money for !) and dropped Wellfleet in favor of Cisco and the rest is history. Few people know that one of Cisco's biggest and most influential customers, the USAF, got their foot in the door based on my work building network control centers and getting rid of the Wellfleets in favor of Cisco.

The theme of my short walk back in time above is to point out that speed, backplane performance, etc. are all great; but they are not the most important features to consider in most circumstances. Customer service is also very important as well.

In the digital age, I expect my VPS to be provisioned within 30 minutes, even with a fraud flag based on a primitive rule and I expect emails to be answered within that same time frame as well. A company should have employees with email on the mobiles answering queries, chatting, and more.

Wire speed is not enough. Linode needs to learn this lesson, I think.

Customer service "speed" is more important than "wire speed" for more people.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Customer support engineer

Hi All, I need the help to deploy or implement HP MC service guard 2 node cluster step by step procedure is any1 who can help me to send me the step by step procedure. Thanks and Regards Jahangir (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahangir
12 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup

October 2010 Update: Linode Versus Slicehost – One Year Later A few days ago I posted Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service. At that time, I was going to cancel my account with Linode based on problems during the sign-up period. However, Linode asked me to give them another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

3. Android

Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63

Well, I've had my new Galaxy S around one day now and I must say, I am not sure if I regret buying it or not. Before buying it, I read a lot of reviews about the Galaxy S (e.g. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space), including reviews of problems with the GPS and some intermittent WiFi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)						systemd-detect-virt					    SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)

NAME
systemd-detect-virt - Detect execution in a virtualized environment SYNOPSIS
systemd-detect-virt [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-detect-virt detects execution in a virtualized environment. It identifies the virtualization technology and can distinguish full machine virtualization from container virtualization. systemd-detect-virt exits with a return value of 0 (success) if a virtualization technology is detected, and non-zero (error) otherwise. By default, any type of virtualization is detected, and the options --container and --vm can be used to limit what types of virtualization are detected. When executed without --quiet will print a short identifier for the detected virtualization technology. The following technologies are currently identified: Table 1. Known virtualization technologies (both VM, i.e. full hardware virtualization, and container, i.e. shared kernel virtualization) +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Type | ID | Product | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |VM | qemu | QEMU software virtualization, | | | | without KVM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | kvm | Linux KVM kernel virtual machine, | | | | with whatever software, except | | | | Oracle Virtualbox | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | zvm | s390 z/VM | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | vmware | VMware Workstation or Server, and | | | | related products | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | microsoft | Hyper-V, also known as Viridian or | | | | Windows Server Virtualization | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | oracle | Oracle VM VirtualBox (historically | | | | marketed by innotek and Sun | | | | Microsystems), | | | | for legacy and KVM | | | | hypervisor | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | xen | Xen hypervisor (only domU, not dom0) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bochs | Bochs Emulator | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | uml | User-mode Linux | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | parallels | Parallels Desktop, Parallels Server | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | bhyve | bhyve, FreeBSD hypervisor | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ |Container | openvz | OpenVZ/Virtuozzo | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc | Linux container implementation by | | | | LXC | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | lxc-libvirt | Linux container implementation by | | | | libvirt | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | systemd-nspawn | systemd's minimal container | | | | implementation, see systemd- | | | | nspawn(1) | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | docker | Docker container manager | | +----------------+--------------------------------------+ | | rkt | rkt app container runtime | +----------+----------------+--------------------------------------+ If multiple virtualization solutions are used, only the "innermost" is detected and identified. That means if both machine and container virtualization are used in conjunction, only the latter will be identified (unless --vm is passed). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -c, --container Only detects container virtualization (i.e. shared kernel virtualization). -v, --vm Only detects hardware virtualization). -r, --chroot Detect whether invoked in a chroot(2) environment. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked in a chroot() environment or not. --private-users Detect whether invoked in a user namespace. In this mode, no output is written, but the return value indicates whether the process was invoked inside of a user namespace or not. See user_namespaces(7) for more information. -q, --quiet Suppress output of the virtualization technology identifier. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
If a virtualization technology is detected, 0 is returned, a non-zero code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-nspawn(1), chroot(2), namespaces(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-DETECT-VIRT(1)