Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service Post 302376153 by Neo on Monday 30th of November 2009 06:35:23 PM
Old 11-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK
On the note of SliceHost... I've had a single 512 Slice with them for several months now (6-8?), and love them. Everything you've stated I have also found to be true. Their service is great, customer service is helpful and they are extremely transparent about everything they do.
Frantkly , I do worry about the credibility of folks who only have one post in the forums and that post is a glowing review of a company.

On the other hand, my experience with the customer service at Slicehost has been so favorable, it is easy to see how others might post in reply to my mini-review.

A long time ago there was this debate between Cisco and Wellfleet (later acquired by Bay Networks, as I recall). Wellfleets routers featured a faster performing backplane but had to be rebooted to change the configuration. Cisco routers, on the other hand, was a bit slower on the backplane, but you could change the configuration without rebooting the machine.

At the time, I explained to a USAF General in charge of communications that during the heat of battle, you don't want to have to reboot your router to add a filtering rule or change some other configuration.

That was around 1994. The USAF followed my advice (which they paid good money for !) and dropped Wellfleet in favor of Cisco and the rest is history. Few people know that one of Cisco's biggest and most influential customers, the USAF, got their foot in the door based on my work building network control centers and getting rid of the Wellfleets in favor of Cisco.

The theme of my short walk back in time above is to point out that speed, backplane performance, etc. are all great; but they are not the most important features to consider in most circumstances. Customer service is also very important as well.

In the digital age, I expect my VPS to be provisioned within 30 minutes, even with a fraud flag based on a primitive rule and I expect emails to be answered within that same time frame as well. A company should have employees with email on the mobiles answering queries, chatting, and more.

Wire speed is not enough. Linode needs to learn this lesson, I think.

Customer service "speed" is more important than "wire speed" for more people.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Customer support engineer

Hi All, I need the help to deploy or implement HP MC service guard 2 node cluster step by step procedure is any1 who can help me to send me the step by step procedure. Thanks and Regards Jahangir (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahangir
12 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup

October 2010 Update: Linode Versus Slicehost – One Year Later A few days ago I posted Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service. At that time, I was going to cancel my account with Linode based on problems during the sign-up period. However, Linode asked me to give them another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

3. Android

Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63

Well, I've had my new Galaxy S around one day now and I must say, I am not sure if I regret buying it or not. Before buying it, I read a lot of reviews about the Galaxy S (e.g. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space), including reviews of problems with the GPS and some intermittent WiFi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
XML::Mini::TreeComponent(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     XML::Mini::TreeComponent(3pm)

NAME
XML::Mini::TreeComponent - Perl implementation of the XML::Mini TreeComponent API. SYNOPSIS
Don't use this class - only presents an interface for other derived classes. DESCRIPTION
This class is only to be used as a base class for others. It presents the minimal interface we can expect from any component in the XML hierarchy. All methods of this base class simply return NULL except a little default functionality included in the parent() method. Warning: This class is not to be instatiated. Derive and override. parent [NEWPARENT] The parent() method is used to get/set the element's parent. If the NEWPARENT parameter is passed, sets the parent to NEWPARENT (NEWPARENT must be an instance of a class derived from XML::MiniTreeComponent) Returns a reference to the parent XML::MiniTreeComponent if set, NULL otherwise. toString [DEPTH] Return a stringified version of the XML representing this component and all sub-components dump Debugging aid, dump returns a nicely formatted dump of the current structure of the XML::Mini::TreeComponent-derived object. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Patrick Deegan, Psychogenic Inc. Programs that use this code are bound to the terms and conditions of the GNU GPL (see the LICENSE file). If you wish to include these modules in non-GPL code, you need prior written authorisation from the authors. This library is released under the terms of the GNU GPL version 3, making it available only for free programs ("free" here being used in the sense of the GPL, see http://www.gnu.org for more details). Anyone wishing to use this library within a proprietary or otherwise non- GPLed program MUST contact psychogenic.com to acquire a distinct license for their application. This approach encourages the use of free software while allowing for proprietary solutions that support further development. LICENSE XML::Mini::TreeComponent module, part of the XML::Mini XML parser/generator package. Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Patrick Deegan All rights reserved XML::Mini is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. XML::Mini is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with XML::Mini. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. Official XML::Mini site: http://minixml.psychogenic.com Contact page for author available on http://www.psychogenic.com/ SEE ALSO
XML::Mini, XML::Mini::Document, XML::Mini::Element http://minixml.psychogenic.com perl v5.10.0 2008-02-10 XML::Mini::TreeComponent(3pm)