Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Help me!!!! - Slackware 12 Issue - Invalid Partition table Post 302376113 by Reeman on Monday 30th of November 2009 04:49:53 PM
Old 11-30-2009
Study up on boot loaders and partitioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinthemiddle
Note :
Both the times i have installed the LILO which was provided with slackware. Do i need to try without installing LILO from slack and go with the bootloader provided by fedora?

I want to have Win XP, Fedora and slackware in my PC (80 GB ).

Thanks for reading till end Smilie
Your issues are more with the way your HDD is partitioned! Grub can boot from an OS from withing a logical partition within an extended partition. However because you installed grub with Fedora (I assume) the Grub config file will not be available to use with Lilo which just might now be incorrectly installed in the boot sector of your drive.

You need to install grub in slackware not lilo in this case.. to the root directory of your slackware install and then edit /boot/grub/grub.config in Fedora to have your slackware install show up in the boot menu in grub so that when you boot your computer with grub there will be three separate os boot options available.

You will most likely have to put grub back in the boot sector of your harddrive using the correct command as root in Fedora to make all this work correctly.

With your setup and one HDD you can have 4 primary partitions and use them the way you need to, so running three operating systems is possible without having to setup an extended partition table.

There is no reason to create two different swap partitions as both versions of linux can and will use the same swap area you set aside on your drive.

I would strongly suggest getting a second HDD if you want to run 3 Oses, though, as the benefits of having your swap and /root on different drives are substantial if you want your linux installs to really smoke because you can swap and run from different drives at the same time.

My good old dual p111 compact server setup uses a single swap on one small size scsi (6 gig), Slackware (15 gig) on one, Zenwalk on another (10 gig) and XP pro on the first IDE channel...all with no conflicts or trouble.

Best of luck and don't give up!
Eric

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition Tables + Slackware?

Hello! im having a hard time installing Slackware 9 on my 20GB hard drive. it boots "bare.i" all the way until detecting partitions on my hard drive, hanging like this yet, vector linux (kernel 2.4.18) and my old redhat (2.2.12-10) work fine? oh though it does cause a boot delay if i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: supafluous
0 Replies

2. Solaris

recovery partition table from fdisk?

I have two disks on a sun blade 100. I just installed a solaris8 on the first disk. The installation was successful. But the problem is now I lost all data / partition on my second hard disk. The possible reason could be: 1. I used default web start install. During the installation I didn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: motor98
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

resizing the partition table

Host 1 ------- Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 1911 18.56GB (1912/0/0) 38913024 1 swap wu 1912 - 5434 34.19GB (3523/0/0) 71700096 2 backup wm 0 - 14086 136.71GB ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

modify a predefined partition table on Solaris

I want to modify a predefined partition on Solaris. This predefined partion has 51 GB. I want to partition it as two partition. One is 5G, another one is about 46 GB. I want to use these commands: #format specify disk #partition # modify The system told me that ' Cannot modify disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Can I put my own tags in a partition table

I have X4500 running Solaris 10. I have formatted a disk and created partition table as given below. Specify disk (enter its number): 0 selecting c0t0d0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is part of active ZFS pool zpool1. Please see zpool(1M). FORMAT MENU: disk - select a disk ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Manually editing partition table

I'm manually editing the partition table purely for experimenting. I did prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2 > /tmp/prtvtoc I'm trying to split up partition 5 to make partition 6. I'm running into a cylinder boundary error on partition 6. Any clues? # vi /tmp/prtvtoc "/tmp/prtvtoc" 23 lines, 769... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

7. SCO

Backup MBR an Partition Table

hi How can I backup MBR an Partition Table of SCO 5.0.6? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

This doesn't look like a partition table Probably you selected the wrong device.

Hi, I need to mount the device from this device # fdisk -l . . . Disk /dev/sdas: 2000.4 GB, 2000365289472 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243197 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
0 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Memory card partition table corrupted after unsafe removal

Memory card partition table got corrupted after unsafe removal. Is there any possible recovery ?.. If i list using fdisk fdisk -l root@ubuntu:/usr/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/multi-libs# fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes 122 heads, 62... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roonie
2 Replies

10. Programming

How do I partition an Oracle 11g Table?

Hello, I have a database called "audit_database" and I want to create two tables. Table 1 = Table 1 Table 2 = Audit I want to partition the Audit table into partitions grouped by month. I'm not familiar with table partitioning but doing some reading online shows that it can be done but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies
FINDFS(8)						       System Administration							 FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)