Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) [launchd] Creating a basic firewall Post 302376093 by tlarkin on Monday 30th of November 2009 03:48:29 PM
Old 11-30-2009
Yeah looking into it further it seems a lot trickier than just a straight forward script....

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

interval in a launchd script

Hi, i'm planning a to automate my backup with a rsync user deamon in my launchd and let that run every 2 hours. my server contains a lot of video data which can expand rapidly , up to 1TB, in an interval of 2 hours. now i'm wondering what will happen when a rsync is running longer then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wessel
1 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a basic UNIX shell script for chatting

Hey guys, This is quite simply what I'm trying to make: A program that runs in a UNIX terminal that you can output text messages to from another machine. These text messages would be prepended with a customized prompt. I'd also like to have the window spew out random dumps of flavor text not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command when triggered by launchd

Hi folks, Im having trouble with an expect command in a shell script I use to back up mac os x servers. This one is being run on a 10.8.2 Server as part of a larger bash script. The script executes perfectly all the way through when triggered on the command line, but when launchd triggers it at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

iptables nat/masquerade - how to act as a basic firewall?

edit: SOLVED - see below for solution Hi there, I've inherited a gob of Linux hosts and so am learning linux from the bottom of the deep end of the pool (gotta say I'm warming up to Linux though - it's not half bad) Right now iptables is confusing me and I could use some pointers as to how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies
forward(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							forward(4)

NAME
forward - forward mail SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/forward/username $HOME/.forward DESCRIPTION
The .forward file allows a user to forward messages to another host, or to invoke programs (such as vacation(1)) to process their mail. It is formatted as a series of comma-separated addresses in the form: addr_1, addr_2, ... Alternatively, each address can be on a separate line. The newer sendmail.v8 program also allows the use of comments (lines that begin with a ``#'') and blank lines. As with the aliases(4) file, mail messages can be forwarded to another host or given to programs for further processing. The following is an example of the vacation program. Assuming that the user's name is myra, create a .forward file and add the following line: myra, "|/usr/bin/vacation myra" The previous example forwards mail to myra (the backslash prevents an accidental aliasing loop), and also sends a copy of the message to the vacation program. For security reasons, the file must be owned by the user or by root and it should be writable only by the file owner. In addition, the file must be readable by the owner (myra) or root. On traditional systems, only the $HOME/.forward file is checked. The sendmail.v8 program allows the use of the system-wide forwarding directory /var/adm/forward. By default, this directory is checked for a forward file prior to examining the users $HOME directory. FILES
System-wide forwarding file. The per-user forwarding file. RESTRICTIONS
The sendmail command can hang trying to read the user's $HOME/.forward file. If the user's home directory is NFS-mounted and temporarily unavailable, sendmail will stall until the directory becomes available again. The use of non-NFS mounted directories for the forwarding of files is recommended. The use of /var/adm/forward is supported only by sendmail.v8. The actual path for /var/adm/forward is configurable in the sendmail.cf file. Incorrect file permissions/ownership are quietly ignored. It is easy to create an accidental loop, for example, on host_a myra@host_b and on host_b myra@host_a RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: aliases(4), sendmail.cf(4), sendmail(8) delim off forward(4)